Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Build recommendations for Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit  (Read 59037 times)

Vetal

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Build recommendations for Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    « on: February 28, 2021, 07:41:51 PM »
    I'm looking for help picking a motherboard and CPU with native support for Win 7. I'm hoping Win 7 users will be knowledgeable, and I'm especially hoping to avoid the Win 10 fanboys that troll the 'hardware' section of every forum I have posted in. For CPU I have settled on i7 (3rd to 5th generation), to avoid the tedious workarounds required to get the 'latest&greatest' components to play nice with Win 7. I'd like recommendations on the 'pick of the litter'. No idea about the motherboard, but hoping once a CPU is decided on, it will make choosing a motherboard easier.

The build will be for surfing the net, streaming movies from sites like putlockers, possible video encoding/editing, Photoshop or GIMP use, Microsoft Word, and Linux LiveCD sessions. I don't do gaming, torrents, and so on.

Term_ite

Beginner
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Familiar
      Re: Build recommendations for Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
      « Reply #1 on: March 01, 2021, 08:23:32 AM »
      Hi Vetal,
      If you look at my computer specs for computer #1 I can recommend the Mobo & CPU from this computer as good candidates for your needs. Though I'm running Win 10 now, this computer came with Win 7 Home Premium when I purchased it in 2013. It has run without any problems for nearly 8 years. There are plenty of used & new P8H61-M PRO Mobos for sale on Ebay. I hesitate to recommend a Graphics card as this computer did not come with one.
      I hope this helps you in your search.
      « Last Edit: March 01, 2021, 08:43:08 AM by Term_ite »

Vetal

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
        Re: Build recommendations for Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
        « Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 08:27:40 PM »
        Thanks for your reply. Since posting I have done further research, and have decided on  i7-4790k CPU, as it appears to be the best one with native Win 7 support. I did not want to go through all the workarounds required to get current parts to function, so I have decided on a legacy build. The motherboards I'm looking into are:
        MSI Z97 Gaming 5   
        MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming   
        MSI Z97-GD65 Gaming 
        MSI Z97-G45   
        MSI Z97A Gaming 6

The graphics cards will likely be harder to pick, as I require a VGA port. So far, these are the only ones I have been able to find:
        ASUS GeForce GTX 750
        Palit GeForce GTX 560 Ti