Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98SE upgrade  (Read 4277 times)

mpumas

Windows 98SE upgrade
« on: February 04, 2006, 11:15:10 PM »
Using a Windows 98SE upgrade disk to improve my system after a fdisk and format. Have orginal Windows 98 disk but do not want to load then upgrade.  What file does the upgrade disk look at to determine qualifying software?  Can it be read off CD or is it hidden in a CAB file?  

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Windows 98SE upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 12:26:36 AM »
Hello mpumas & welcome to the CH forum.

Using an upgrade disk implies that there is already something to upgrade.  So, if you do not install Win.98 after fdisk & format what will you upgrade??

An upgrade disk will not normally install a full OS, just upgrade an existing one.

Am I misinterpreting your intentions :-?

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

GX1_Man

Re: Windows 98SE upgrade
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 12:36:41 AM »
There are 2 inds of upgrade disks. One is for upgrading an installed Win98 to Win98SE.

The other can fully install if you have a previous qualifying Windows product available, but it does not have to be installed. It merely asks you for the old product to be inserted briefly when prompted during the install.

Since I am unsure what you have as far as the "upgrade CD", I would suggest a format with a Win98SE boot disk (free at www.bootdisk.com) and then try to load the Upgrade CD with d:\setup, to see what happens.

If this doesn't work, you obviously have the older type of upgrade and will have to install the old Windows first. But give this a try!  ;)