Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Unable to start device -Cd R/rw  (Read 4089 times)

gbp510

Unable to start device -Cd R/rw
« on: February 05, 2006, 03:39:04 PM »
I have an HP Pavillion and run Windows XP. I popped a music CD in my Samsung Cd R/RW SW-232B today and got a message related to not having a CD Drive. The drive has worked great for several years and I could load software, burn disks etc..etc..
I checked my device manager and I was sad to find out there was an error listed with my device. I checked my system information and indeed it was not listed. There is a yellow exclamation mark and so I started the Troubleshoot wizard. The message read "Unable to start device Code-10"
The first thing I did was try to install an updated driver. I couldn't find any on my system and I got a message to load the CD with the driver on it. Obviously this won't work with no CD drive.
I got onto the Samsung site and downloaded what I assumed was a newer driver but as soon as I ran the download software it stopped and said "Drive Not Found" not to be critical but I pretty much already knew this. I tried a few other sites and the same thing happened with the software and I got similar messages regarding drive not found and it can't continue. I decided to try the next thing suggested and that was to disconenct the drive physically from my system and then attach the cables and the power. This didn't help either. I uninstalled it from the device manager and then editied my registery and removed it from there as well. The system goes out and detects the drive when I reboot. Then the magic yellow exclaimation mark is back and I'm back to square one. I decided to try something else so I did a system restore to a few weeks ago and of course it didn't help anything either.

Any ideas would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

GX1_Man

Re: Unable to start device -Cd R/rw
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 03:43:32 PM »
Sometimes an optical drive just dies. Drivers are not needed beyond what Windows uses, although burning software has to be installed to burn data.  

You can try that drive in another machine to confirm it's functionaliy (or not), but I think it is just time to get another. (There's a reason most only have a 90 day warrany!)

gbp510

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 04:13:28 PM »
Being basically a cheapskate at heart I always try to bring everything back from the dead but I think you might be right in this case.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 05:39:04 PM »
A lot of drives are dying these days it seems from the postings on the board.  :o