Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't change display on third monitor  (Read 2729 times)

Jinzo

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Can't change display on third monitor
    « on: April 20, 2021, 07:17:47 PM »
    Hello,

I got a third display set up and working fine.  My second display is plugged directly into HDMI on laptop and works fine.  Bought this as a USB to HDMI adapter - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725K1MHH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Everything works, but the problem is, the third display has too high of resolution, so it's very zoomed in.  When I go into my display settings and select the third monitor, the resolution option grays out.  pic: https://gyazo.com/deb1ed64a421fd1f57eaff17d8b2c899

Any ideas?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Can't change display on third monitor
    « Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 02:35:49 PM »
    Hi
    Did you load the driver software for the adapter ?

What Monitor are using using on the adapter?
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

Jinzo

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 04:57:25 PM »
      Hi
      Did you load the driver software for the adapter ?

What Monitor are using using on the adapter?

Yes, I did install the driver for the adapter.

I'm not 100% sure on the specific TV model, as it was given to me, but it's an Emerson flatscreen.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 05:27:05 PM »
      Because you are using HDMI connected to a TV there is no options to change resolution it is, what it is. Try the setup with an HDMI monitor and you will have all the resolution options the monitor supports. 
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

Jinzo

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 03:17:12 AM »
        Because you are using HDMI connected to a TV there is no options to change resolution it is, what it is. Try the setup with an HDMI monitor and you will have all the resolution options the monitor supports.

By HDMI monitor, you mean a computer screen, right?

The thing is, I have two TVs connected to my laptop.  The other TV, which is an Insignia flatscreen, is connected directly to my laptop and I can change its resolution.  It's only the Emerson TV connected via the adapter.  I'm assuming this comes down to either an adapter issue or the TV.