Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lost bookmarks & passwords from Firefox  (Read 90151 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Lost bookmarks & passwords from Firefox
    « on: April 24, 2021, 07:08:31 AM »
    Thank you for looking at my problem.

My laptop went feral & lost all the bookmarks & passwords from Firefox.

I tried a system restore but they were mostly gone also with just recent system points for a day or so  before the loss.

Ive tried an old ( really old ) external drive with a json file but those bookmarks are totally jurasic.

Can someone suggest how I might be able to recover my bookmarks.. and my passwords would be a good additive. ( Actually its probably a good thing they died so now I can delete a lot of the crappy stuff/websites I hardly use anymore. )  ;D

I think it may have been a Firefox update or a Windows 10 update that killed it ( most likely )
    I didnt sync firefox to any other devices or send it to the cloud or Google. These were strickly on my laptop.

This computer is running Windows 10 Home, has 4 gig ram and is a 64bit intel i5 [email protected].

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you ImnoGuru.
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

kburra

Beginner

Re: Lost bookmarks & passwords from Firefox
      « Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 07:30:28 AM »
          Click the Bookmarks button. ...Show all Bookmarks
          At the top of the Library window, click on Import and Backup and select Restore.
          Click the date of the bookmark backup you want to recover.
          In the new window that appears, click OK.
          Your bookmarks from the selected date should now be restored.

Steve M

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 11:50:57 AM »
        This happened to me the other day, so it's probably a Firefox update that's done it. My back ups didn't show in the back up and restore option. So I went to User>Appdata>Roaming>Mozilla>Firefox>Profiles  and in there you should hopefully find profiles and bookmark backups which you can possibly copy and past into a new or most recent firefox profile.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 02:18:36 PM »
        And although it's after the fact you should consider MozBack...still Free i believe.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
        • The wonders of modern technology.
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 07:59:46 PM »
          Thanks for the replies friends.
          kburra, I did try that but there was only the previous days information it that. So that method for me didnt work.
          Steve M, sounds like there is a chance?? that might work.  I'll try that next.
          Patio thanks also. Everybody does love something for free ;D. As you say... it is after the fact. A shame Im so familiar to making constant backups that suddenly they disappear. I do think that the recent update could have been the problem?? but this laptop is rather old. Maybe a mechanical/electrical failure is immanent.   :'(.

Maybe something less DIGITAL is a solution. Im sure people might remember pens & paper for safeguarding information.
          Cheers ImnoGuru.  ;D
          It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.