Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to from Windows7 start a Dos file to run a Lotus123 spreadsheet program.  (Read 17320 times)

Pachomius

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    I am using Windows7 in 32 bits.

At present I would shut down windows and restart at command.com, then run my Dos file of c:\autoexec.bat.

This autoexec.bat will open the spreadsheet in Dos of Lotus123, for me to retrieve my spreadsheet file and work on it.

How do I start from windows as to get the whole procedure above started, that should save me labor with first shutting down windows etc etc etc.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    Try simply opening a Command prompt while still in Windows and type in your bat and hit Enter...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

strollin

Adviser
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Create a shortcut on the Windows desktop that points to the batch file.  Then you would be able to double-click on the shortcut from the desktop and have it run.

Pachomius

Topic Starter

Starter

This is what I am doing to get Windows 7 (in 32 bits) to work like the DOS operating system for running the old old Lotus123 spreadsheet program.

1. Reboot Windows by clicking on a reboot shortcut

2. When shut down has completed, press F8

3. F8 brings up a list of choices

4. Click ↓ ↓ ↓ down arrow three times

5. That brings cursor to Safe Mode with Command Prompt line

6. I press enter on this line and this prompt appears, C:\Windows\system32>

7. Now I annex to this prompt my old dos batch file, autoexec.bat, thus C:\Windows\system32>c:\autoexec

8. That brings up my old old Dos Lotus123 spreadsheet program.

If only I can produce the procedure as described above, with one click on a shortcut file in Windows, that should be terrific!