Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Home Network Wifi Issues  (Read 55414 times)

capper

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Home Network Wifi Issues
    « on: July 05, 2021, 09:00:17 AM »
    This might be a tough question to answer as I have already tried by contacting my ISP and I didn't get very far with their response.  As a result of extensive ongoing use of smart phones and other devices, I have been forced to cut down on internet use for my kids.  I felt the best way to do this is by controlling their access to our home wifi.  I am the only one who has a hard-wired device in the house.  My ISP has a modem login site where I can locate individual devices and block access anytime.  The problem is that my 15-year old son has found a way to bypass this access block.  So when I go into the site and try to block his access, it will not allow me to save my block settings!  There are other ways to disable the wifi but they create additional problems for myself.  I would prefer to 

Can anyone suggest any ways or ideas as to how I can get this access block to work and overturn whatever it is he is doing?  If you need more details on anything including the ISP, modem, etc., don't hesitate to ask.  I would really like to regain control for the health and safety of my kids!  THANKS. 

carlos1001

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: Home Network Wifi Issues
      « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 12:32:20 AM »
      Have you tried resetting the router using the reset pinhole at the back? Most devices have one that you can hold for ~30 seconds and it will clear the configuration. This honestly sounds like a firmware bug to me; I've lost count of the quirks I've had to work around when using the provided modem/router combo from the ISPs.

Unrelated to the control panel not allowing you to block, I'm almost certain that the router is using MAC filtering to deny the devices, and MAC addresses can be changed/spoofed using software. I could be wrong about your router, however.