Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC freezes for 2-3 seconds then continues  (Read 18444 times)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: PC freezes for 2-3 seconds then continues
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2021, 04:04:58 PM »
It beeds to be internal for Windows to boot....
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #16 on: August 04, 2021, 05:17:11 PM »
    I've got an SSD for that.

carlos1001

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
      « Reply #17 on: August 04, 2021, 06:00:45 PM »
      Woh, so your boot drive is an SSD? I take it the other drive is only holding data? If that's the case, then it shouldn't matter if you get an external one. Just speaking from personal experience, however, I've sent external drives flying across my desk by accident in the past. They don't particular like me doing that. :)

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2021, 07:02:57 PM »
        No, not what you think, I'm using the SSD for games atm, the HDD is currently running Windows 10.

carlos1001

Beginner

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2021, 07:29:38 PM »
          Why would you put the OS on spinning rust? The OS would seriously benefit from the performance boost.

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2021, 07:37:24 PM »
            When I got the SSD, it was meant to be for gaming but I might change my mind and make the second partition of it.

Allan

• Mastermind
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #21 on: August 05, 2021, 05:30:36 AM »
            Okay, let's go back to basics. REPLACE YOUR HARD DRIVE NOW. Back up any critical data now.

Then - either make the ssd your system drive or get a new hdd as your system drive - your choice. But as Carlos said, using an SSD will reap immediate benefits - especially with boot time.

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2021, 07:27:55 AM »
              I'm not ready to change the hard drive as I wanna try the Hard Disk Sentinel method (where I do reinitialize disk surface).

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2021, 07:36:51 AM »
                Also, does an OS reinstall help fix the problem?

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #24 on: August 05, 2021, 08:16:03 AM »
                No...it's a hardware issue and you should take the advice given.
                You risk losin everything...you have been warned.
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                • Certifications: List
                « Reply #25 on: August 05, 2021, 07:58:00 PM »
                "Reinitialize Disk Surface" is a surface scan mode that can be used when you do not care about data on the drive. HDD Sentinel will then write a pattern to the entire drive (This will destroy all data on the drive) and then use that known pattern for it's surface scan.

Tools like HDD sentinel are like a smoke alarm. A smoke alarm warns you when your house might be on fire but you can't use it to put the fire out. Similarly, HDD sentinel warns you when your Hard Drives are failing, but it's tools are designed for detecting failures,  not for fixing them.

In fact once an HDD starts failing you really can't fix it. In the same way that no amount of fire trucks can unburndown a house.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

carlos1001

Beginner

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2021, 09:21:53 PM »
                  That's a nice analogy; not even my warn out tire one would work here because you can retread them to make them last longer....

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2021, 07:18:21 AM »
                    "Reinitialize Disk Surface" is a surface scan mode that can be used when you do not care about data on the drive. HDD Sentinel will then write a pattern to the entire drive (This will destroy all data on the drive) and then use that known pattern for its surface scan.

Tools like HDD sentinel are like a smoke alarm. A smoke alarm warns you when your house might be on fire but you can't use it to put the fire out. Similarly, HDD sentinel warns you when your Hard Drives are failing, but its tools are designed for detecting failures,  not for fixing them.

In fact, once an HDD starts failing you really can't fix it. In the same way that no amount of fire trucks can unburndown a house.
                    An interesting answer, thank you.

So that method (Reinitialize Disk Surface) won't do anything? and if I want to try this method, do I need to clear all the partitions related to the hard disk?

I saw on an article there is physical and logical damage when bad sectors happen, physical can't be fixed since the HDD maybe damaged because of dust or something like that unlike logical which can be fixed? I'm curious.

carlos1001

Beginner

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2021, 10:38:39 AM »
                      How valuable is the data on this drive to you, and is it backed up? Considering that you have an SSD and you've decided to install games on it, I'm assuming that you understand that all data is stored on the hdd or the ssd. Right?

By all data I mean everything. Documents, music, pictures, videos, etc.

Please; do yourself a favor and buy yourself a new drive and copy the data off of it if the data holds any value and you haven't backed it up. Data recovery services can be incredibly expensive, and there's no promise that they can help you.

To answer your question about sectors: Logical sector damage can mean different things in different contexts, but I typically think of it being caused by data being half written to a drive when their is a sudden power cut to the computer. The drive has an internal mechanism to verify the integrity of data stored, and if it doesn't match what it expects to find, it will give an error to the OS which tells it that the data is unreadable. The OS will then write to the unreadable sector and the hdd will write data to the sector or remap it to a set of reserved sectors set aside by the manufacture. If it remaps, it's considered physical damage because the original place on the platters is broken/unwritable. Please, don't think of this as an invitation to try writing to broken sectors to see if the drive remaps the sectors. All the indirect signs you gave (PC freezing, etc) is screaming to me that your drive is truly failing at a physical level.

Senior16

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2021, 11:58:54 AM »
                        It's valuable to me, and it's not backed up yet but thanks for the answer, I understand.