Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC freezes for 2-3 seconds then continues  (Read 18445 times)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: PC freezes for 2-3 seconds then continues
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2021, 03:17:09 PM »
So that method (Reinitialize Disk Surface) won't do anything? and if I want to try this method, do I need to clear all the partitions related to the hard disk?

It's just a special surface scan. You don't need to do anything special to use it. Once you run that form of scan, all data on the drive will be destroyed and you will need to repartition and reformat.

I saw on an article there is physical and logical damage when bad sectors happen, physical can't be fixed since the HDD maybe damaged because of dust or something like that unlike logical which can be fixed? I'm curious.

The article is mistaken. What it describes is *possible* but very unlikely. Basically, when a drive encounters a sector that takes many attempts to read, it will flag it as a bad sector. It copies  the data from that sector to a "backup sector" (drives have reallocation sectors specifically for this) and then save in it's firmware that Sector ### is reallocated sector ### so whenever it is asked to read that sector it reads the reallocated sector instead.

Now, it's possible that for example unstable power to the drive could cause it to have problems reading a sector which would result in it doing this. But it doesn't actually matter- all of that is in the drive firmware. Software can't "correct" that mistake after the fact. So even if we allow for the idea that "logical" bad sectors are a thing, it doesn't really matter much in this context. (I'm sure there are ways of say reflashing the firmware and stuff to address that but it's going to be very specialty stuff)

It is only when the drive runs out of reallocation sectors that it starts exposing bad sectors to the Software, at which point Windows for example will see "bad sectors" and mark them bad in the file system. Since they are part of the file system and not hard-set on the drive those can be "fixed" through things like a reformat that rescans the drive; but only if those bad sectors are actually fine but are marked bad because of things like a bad PSU, which again, is very unlikely.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.