Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: client unknown to auth a 2005 issue??  (Read 23477 times)

ccrailgun

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    client unknown to auth a 2005 issue??
    « on: September 14, 2021, 08:16:06 AM »
    Hello Im a long time quake player with a new laptop Win 10 and cant get my game to connect to a server. I have tried the  {seta net_master0 "192.246.40.28:27650"}  in the config files, I have checked the permissions on the folders. the research I've done says its a punk buster issue but I'm lost. Any help would be appreciated.

David

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: client unknown to auth a 2005 issue??
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 02:27:39 PM »
    Punkbuster has anti-cheat mechanisms to it, are you running a clean client or one that has cheats that Punkbuster is disallowing connections due to a positive detection for a game cheat in use? Punkbuster can also have false positives is no cheats are in place but its generally pretty good at positives vs false positives.

ccrailgun

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 03:02:09 PM »
      I tried my original 4 disk install and it wouldn't even let me into the game. I downloaded Q4 from a site and installed it all over again with punk buster from that zip file. I have not changed anything other than what i found in the config files for troubleshooting. I dont know much about punk buster issues.

Is there a good known site to try another clean download from? I do have a network guy that I can ask for help if you have technical answers.

Thanks for reaching out to me.

David

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: September 16, 2021, 10:14:53 PM »
      Looking deeper... PB can be uninstalled from the system. Maybe that's all you need is to remove it. However if the server you connect to requires it it will lock you out of access to it to prevent game client running with possible cheats. https://www.howtogeek.com/357320/what-is-punkbuster-and-can-i-uninstall-it/