Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Making PC-Linq work between Win10 Pcs  (Read 13159 times)

Sebastian42

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Experienced
Making PC-Linq work between Win10 Pcs
« on: October 08, 2021, 03:04:47 PM »
I am NOT asking how to copy data between PCs - I'm asking about PC-linq or an equivalent. I still have a PC-Linq 'bridging - cross-over' cable that used to allow data transfer between 98E and XP in an effective and user-friendly way. I would like to use it between Win10 PCs. There is a 2018 post on the web https://answers.info....ith-windows-10 that claims it still works for Win10, provided it is installed and run As Administrator, and that the Compatibility Mode is set (for WinXP). I have done that and when it failed, I ran the Troubleshooter which came back with 'Mdi is incompatible'. Knowing that PCs often tell diagnostic lies, I figure that the software could be inadequate or any number of other gremlins could be causing the failure. I already know about work-arounds - the easiest being to use a USB-stick - and ethernet-wise, I KNOW that Team Viewer also works. After a great deal of effort, I've had NO success with networking through ethernet cable, so spare me reminders about THAT option. The only modern version of PC-Linq I could find, from USBGear https://www.usbgear.....fer-cable.html, has user comments at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GIGNVC which range from EXCELLENT to ABYSMAL - it does not work for me. I'm really NOT after work-arounds, or asking how to transfer data between PCs, but in finding out if anybody-out-there can reproduce the success in getting PC-Linq to work with Win10 which was claimed by the post I quoted. I want to cast a wide net by asking for help in forums.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Making PC-Linq work between Win10 Pcs
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 03:28:08 PM »
It may be that the Windows 10 systems that it worked with was Windows 10 32-bit edition vs 64 bit so, if you have 2 systems available for testing, install Windows 10 32-bit and see if you get better success with it. There are some differences in legacy support between 32 and 64 bit Windows 10 OS. Some older games run ok on Windows 10 32- bit but fail to run on 64-bit. Good Luck!

Sebastian42

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2021, 08:56:26 PM »
I asked the question because I want to connect a x32Win10ProV21H1 and a x64Win10ProV21H1, so I did install it in both 32 and 64 bits.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 01:41:11 PM »
If that's not working at the system that is 64-bit, can the 64-bit system be built up as 32-bit... No guarantee that it will work, but if it does work I'd think they are both running 32-bit.

If you have a extra hard drive kicking around you can remove the 64-bit build drive and test with 32-bit install without destroying a perfectly fine 64-bit build. Additionally if the system can have 2 hard drives installed you can boot select to 32 or 64 bit on the same system.

There are differences in legacy support for the Windows 10 32 and 64 bit systems and I'd expect that if it works that it would be the 32-bit pairing of 2 systems running 32-bit OS of 10.

Sebastian42

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Yes
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 06:13:38 PM »
I did not see your reply because Gmail had put it into Spam; will be checking Spam routinely from now on. Your suggestion is interesting, and I can and will try PC-Linq between x32 systems - in due course. But that would be of academic interest only. In practice I need it to work between the x32 and x64 systems.