Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Recently my computer keeps shutting off, maybe under load?  (Read 11331 times)

MiNuN

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
Recently my computer keeps shutting off, maybe under load?
« on: October 22, 2021, 09:24:02 PM »
Hi!

I am seeking help with my computer that is a bit old, recently it keeps shutting off randomly but I notice doing certain things would cause it, at first it would be playing Valorant (Video Game), every time I play the game it would shut off during the middle of the game so I changed everything from high to low in  the game's graphic settings but it did not prevent it, though I never had a problem a couple months ago, now it is consistently shutting off, it has gotten worse, next it started shutting off while I watch streamed live videos and now even long Youtube videos would trigger it

I am hoping to pin-point the problem and solve it, but I do not know where to begin, any advice would be appreciated!

Cedric62

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Re: Recently my computer keeps shutting off, maybe under load?
    « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 07:33:30 PM »
    I would take a look around inside your case for any signs of a possible short circuit.  Any loose screws left rolling around, any misaligned blank covers for any empty slot possibly touching the edge of your motherboard?  Have you tried reseating your video card and ram?  Have you tried booting the machine from a Kubuntu or Windows PE usb to see if the problem happens in those environments as well?

If none of those seem to help, then maybe I'd take a close look at the power-supply.  You can buy a cheap ATX power supply tester on Amazon, depending upon where you live.   Maybe as a last resort, take a look inside the power-supply and see if it has any bulging capacitors which have started to leak all over the power supply's mainboard. 

If all of that looks good, take a look at the on-off button located on the front panel of your ATX case.  I believe that these things are supposed to function like a momentary contact switch, but if they get stuck partially open, or partially closed, then the power button switch might cause a problem like this.  Try unplugging it from the board and use a digital ohm meter to make sure it cuts off the voltage neatly and cleanly.   

I'm sure that someone else will probably have better ideas, but those are my two cents

MiNuN

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: October 26, 2021, 11:42:21 AM »
    How would I notice signs of short circuits

No to screws, No to blank covers

I have not tried re-seating or know how to boot the machine from Kubuntu or Windows PE

Yup, I already have a PSU from Amazon on the way, hoping that will be the solution

My PSU is not near the MoBo and I can't really see the inside of it even when I took the part out

I will keep that in mind about the button!

Cedric62

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 12:30:33 AM »
      Well as far as short circuits go, I'd look for anything which looks like it might be capable of conducting electricity, hanging out in a place where it doesn't belong.  Also, maybe look any wires which might of worked their way out of a plug, a fan that appears to have stopped working, and or anything which has a burnt smell to it.

Also, they sell inexpensive power supply testers on Amazon, and they can take the guess work out of trying to figure out if the power supply has actually failed, or if it is something else.  Just curious, do you live in a country that uses 220 line voltage? 

If you remove the power supply from inside your computer, then open it's case, it will be obvious if you happen to have any capacitors which are going bad, or have already failed.  First the capacitors start to bulge, and then later on they actually split open and leak their innards inside the power supply.

Well, you can unplug the power switch from your motherboard, and then you you take a small metal object and touch it to both of the motherboard pins for the power switch.  If the computer starts, then it was the power switch causing your trouble. If you decide to try this test, make sure you don't touch your metal tool onto anything else than just the two mother board pins for the power switch. 

Hope this helps.