Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New PSU: Loud Pop, Sparked, and Dead, what happened?  (Read 11368 times)

MiNuN

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Yes
  • Experience: Familiar
New PSU: Loud Pop, Sparked, and Dead, what happened?
« on: October 28, 2021, 04:55:36 AM »
Hi there!

My current 1200W PSU is dying and I need a new PSU

My computer is old so I did not want to spend too much and ordered this 1000W PSU
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09BYT4P91/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I received it today and swapped it out with my current PSU, less than a minute after logging into Windows, there was a loud pop and sparks coming from the PSU housing compartment, my computer shut off immediately and I unplugged everything, it fried my surge protector (Thank god for it, I never thought I would see the day)

Good news is that I put my current PSU back in and it is working, nothing dead (except my surge protector /sadface)

I would like to treat this as a life lesson, what could of caused it? A few things I could think of but quite not understand

Was it because I bought a no-name brand PSU? There is not a lot of information about their brand but enough to gamble that it would work

Was it because I bought 1000W instead of 1200W?

My GPU used 2 8-pins PCI-E cables with my current PSU, with the new PSU I noticed there was 2 8-pins on 1 cable and opted for that instead of two separate cables, did that cause it?

There was not enough Molex cables for my sound card, Asus Xonar Essence STX, so I decided not to use my single Molex cable for it but left it attached to my MoBo

I did not change the pin connector for the fan connected to CPU FAN on my MoBo

Any recommendations for a 1200W PSU that won't explode?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: New PSU: Loud Pop, Sparked, and Dead, what happened?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 04:17:00 PM »
Was it because I bought a no-name brand PSU? There is not a lot of information about their brand but enough to gamble that it would work

Yes. I've never heard of "ARESGAME" myself.

I think it is unlikely your system actually needs 1200 Watts, even with a 30-series RTX card. If it's truly necessary, A reliable 1200 Watt supply will set you back 300-400 dollars. It's uncommon for a system to require more than 850 Watts, though. I'm using a Corsair RM650 650-Watt supply with an overclocked 4770K a 1070, and a USB3 and Sound card that both take a power input and it's been running fine since 2013/2014 when I built it (originally with a GTX 770).

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Cedric62

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 10:16:05 PM »
    Sure sounds like you experienced a dead short somewhere.  I would carefully inspect the power cord which came with your new power supply for any signs of arching or a burnt smell, and or also carefully inspect all of the power connections inside your PC's case for signs of arching, melting, or bunt smell. 

MiNuN

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Yes
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 12:06:48 PM »
    Yes. I've never heard of "ARESGAME" myself.

I think it is unlikely your system actually needs 1200 Watts, even with a 30-series RTX card. If it's truly necessary, A reliable 1200 Watt supply will set you back 300-400 dollars. It's uncommon for a system to require more than 850 Watts, though. I'm using a Corsair RM650 650-Watt supply with an overclocked 4770K a 1070, and a USB3 and Sound card that both take a power input and it's been running fine since 2013/2014 when I built it (originally with a GTX 770).

https://outervision.com/b/wOggbk

Cedric62

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 10:29:07 PM »
      Also, are you fairly certain that you didn't accidentally plug one of the connectors onto the motherboard upside down.  I can be done if you put enough force onto it.  Maybe your new power supply just blew a fuse, and perhaps it can still be salvaged.