Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Media Tool keeps asking for driver  (Read 44303 times)

Novel8

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
    Media Tool keeps asking for driver
    « on: September 13, 2022, 04:46:41 PM »
    I've had the full upgrade of win 10, but trying to reinstall it again because it wont start and media tells me to find the driver. I never experienced that result using the media tool. What driver is it talking about? At the bottom of the message it shows a button "Browse' and  another button "rescan" i see the computer list when i chose "Browse", so i chosse the "C" drive merely on a guess. Nothing happened....Does anyone know what this is all about? It began by Win 10 couldn't start, so i tried to repair it as i have done once before when it worked by correcting the error, but this time i got no errors...and Media said it cannot repair it after diagnost it, so i tried to reinstall it.I am using win 7 on this same pc with it been installed on separate hd's.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Media Tool keeps asking for driver
    « Reply #1 on: September 14, 2022, 12:36:12 AM »
    I suspect it is the media creation tool looking for a pen drive. You then boot the computer from the pendrive and install Windows 10. Before doing the install i would test the drive you are installing windows onto a program you can use from Windows 7 is HDsentinel which will show if the drive is healthy.
    When Windows 10 can't repair itself you can sometimes fix windows by either running chkdsk from Windows 7 drive or the Windows 10 cmd prompt.

The command would be chkdsk d: (or the drive with windows 10 ) /r /f . You need to run the command from an administrator command prompt.

If chkdsk reports that it can't check some files because they are locked, post a screen shot and we can advise.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

Novel8

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2022, 07:56:28 AM »
      I'm a bit confused by your suggestions of which i certainly appreciate. First, a pendrive...is a portable usb drive, i assume, and the only usb drive that i have connected is my Media tool drive. Why would it be looking for a pendrive if its already plugged in? In the past when i successfully repaired win 10 with this tool i was never asked for pendrive.  The hd that win 10 has been installed on is barely a year old, SSD.  I suppose a new hd can go faulty....i will try that download.

Novel8

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2022, 01:04:24 PM »
        I did the hdsentinel utility and it did both hd's, win 7 & 10 and both status were 'perfect' as reported..."no need to make changes" or something to that effect. I am now going to try again and if no repair is available, then i will do the chdsk.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: September 14, 2022, 03:00:38 PM »
        Hi

Now hdsentinel has said the drives are prefect it gives us confidence that a clean install should work.

From Hdsentinel can you tell us what the windows 10 drive is, if it is an M2 drive or a drive running in raid mode then windows 10 may need a driver added to the install to access the drive.
        You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
        ― John Bunyan

Novel8

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2022, 04:31:53 PM »
          From Hdsentinel can you tell us what the windows 10 drive is, if it is an M2 drive or a drive running in raid mode then windows 10 may need a driver added to the install to access the drive.

When I am on windows 7, which is most of the time, especially now, win 10 would be on drive F. Of course when i am able to use win 10 it becomes the C drive. The HDsentinel said "No Action needed". Funny, I have been getting stuck in a Chdsk mode for both of my hard drives for months...most of the time i cancel it and sometimes i let it run its course. I have been looking for a way to stop this 'bug'...so i recall doing it complete about a day just before win 10 stopped, so i can't see what good it would do again now, do you? I believe the hd is neither raid or M2 , i do not have M2 slots on my Motherboard.
          « Last Edit: September 14, 2022, 04:54:21 PM by Novel8 »

Novel8

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2022, 07:39:53 AM »
            I tried again last night with the Media tool and to my surprise it started doing chdsk. what threw me off it did not ask for administration rights so i let it do its routine which was very brief. It chose the C drive, now i don't know if it was the C drive of win 7 or Win 10. I did choose Win 10 when i booted the pc, so i asume it automatically changes win 10 from F to C.Then i got the 2 options  upgrade and save your files or customize and start losing everything...from resolution..and etc. I did not save any of my files, so i chose upgrade which it denied me, but did tell me to shut the pc, remove the Media tool, reboot and plug in the Media tool again and windows setup should appear, which never did.