Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Passwords You Must Never Use!  (Read 25505 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Passwords You Must Never Use!
« on: March 03, 2022, 09:16:03 PM »
Believe it! Below are very common passwords. Do you use any?  ::)
qwerty
password
qwerty123
1q2w3e
aa12345678
abc123
password1
Source:
https://www.pocket-lint.com/laptops/news/140833-5-ways-to-ensure-your-passwords-are-always-safe

He has very good advice. But for one thing. He says "Don't write your passwords down". I disagree. You have too. And date them. Of course, put the paper in a very safe  place. Not under your keyboard.  8)

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Passwords You Must Never Use!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 03:09:54 PM »
I use unique passwords for everything and keep them in a small notebook. Some I have remembered and others have to be looked up.

One of my friends uses a short list of passwords and the passwords have a level to them of the most important and less frequently used to the the least risk and used in many places. Risk is based on how much damage someone could do if they had gained access to the password which all are phrases with numbers and special character.

I don't like any passwords at all being the same between sites, as well as don't conform to a structure that can be guessed elsewhere. Example of a structure that can be guessed is like a color and a year to where say a password of Green2022 is compromised, a hacker can try Green2021 or Green2020 and so on to try to find a similar used password that just has a different year used to gain access to more.

Other thing to note is security questions and their answers. I always use wrong information and give answers to security questions that have nothing to do with the question to throw off anyone from using a dictionary attack of Cities, Colors, Animal Names, and so on and so if its a security question of What is your favorite musical instrument, the answer will be something like StirringPeanutButter32 which is written down in my little notebook that only I will ever have access to and no one in the world would be able to guess wrong answers that have nothing to do with questions and are abstract to avoid dictionary brute forcing.