Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor experts: I need your help choosing the right monitor for graphic design  (Read 21704 times)

Dane999

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Hi all monitor experts. I need your help choosing the right PC monitor for my needs as I’m starting to go research-crazy :-\

I’m looking for a monitor that I can use for making professional graphic print designs for a small poster business. The color accuracy therefore of course needs to be good. However, as my budget is tight, I would prefer to keep the price below around 1.100 dollars (1.000 euro). Furthermore: I probably won’t be needing the Adobe RGB color profile for at least the first couple of years as the programs I’m using to make my designs in use the sRGB color profile and the company who is printing my designs wants designs uploaded in sRGB as well. However, for future purposes, I’m thinking it’s not a bad idea to have a monitor with a decent Adobe RGB range as well, but an excellent sRGB range is my number 1 priority.
    I have found some interesting candidates within my budget, but as expected in that price range none of them are of course perfect all-round. I would therefore really appreciate it if you could help me figure out which ones are the best for my needs:

A) Dell UltraSharp U2720Q: A 10-bit monitor (a few sites say it's only: 8-bit + FRC dithering) with 99 % sRGB and 89 % Adobe RGB. Delta E less than 2, or B) BenQ PD3200U: A 10-bit monitor (a few say it's only: 8-bit + FRC dithering) with 100 % sRGB but only 73 % Adobe RGB. Delta E less than 3, or C) Viewsonic VP2785-4K: An 8-bit plus FRC to 10-bit monitor with 100 % sRGB and 99 % Adobe RGB plus 75,06 % NTSC. Delta E less than 2. Hardware Color Calibration.
    All three monitors have 4 K and IPS panel.

I can’t figure out if I should go with B (BenQ PD3200U) because it has 100 % sRGB and that’s the color profile I will primarily be using (plus it according to most webpages has a true 10-bit as opposed to C), or if it would be stupid and too short-sighted to purchase it because its Adobe RGB range is rather narrow and I therefore should go with A (Dell UltraSharp U2720Q) that has a much higher Adobe RGB, although it’s sRGB is “only” 99 %. How big of a difference does that one percent make? OR if C (Viewsonic VP2785-4K) is in fact the smartest choice because it has wider gamut all around although it’s only an 8-bit plus FRC to 10-bit monitor. What I understand from the research I have been doing; true 10 bit is better than 8-bit plus FRC, but I can’t figure out if the print results will still be better with this 8-bit FRC because the monitor’s color gamut is that much better. Also, I don’t even know how to be sure that the others are true 10-bit as I found a few pages that said they are also only 8-bit FRC as well. (If you know any credible webpages to look for monitor specs I would love to know). Viewsonic VP2785-4K is also the only one where I can find data about the color calibration, and it should be hardware which I understand is much better than software? 
    Which monitor would you choose if you were in my shoes?

One last question: Is it important to have a laptop with the same color gamut specs as one’s monitor? E.g., if one is having a laptop with only 88 percent sRGB color space and no Adobe RGB color space and a monitor with full sRGB as well as Adobe RGB, will the monitor attached to the laptop still be able to show both the sRGB and the Adobe RGB gamut? And will it be able to show its full percent?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my lengthy post! I really appreciate it :)