Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Bots Answer Tech Questions  (Read 48078 times)

MichaelNyby

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Familiar
    Bots Answer Tech Questions
    « on: April 28, 2022, 03:22:14 PM »
    When do you suppose the time will come when bots are able to reliably answer more than 50% of tech questions posted on a tech forum such as here?

Should I aim for higher than 50% before I invest in the research necessary to create a commercial entity that utilizes such bots?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Bots Answer Tech Questions
    « Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 08:00:17 PM »
    The bots you refer to are called  "chat bots".   ;D
    https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/best-ai-chatbot
    https://support.google.com/chat/answer/9649420?hl=en
    The do not work on wide -cope questions. They have bots for specific needs.

IMHO, investing in bot technology is a bad idea.  :'(

MichaelNyby

Topic Starter

Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 05:13:03 PM »
      Thank you for those links, Geek-9pm.

And you triggered my memory a bit, because I now remember some site I visited that was using AI to respond to questions and I think I ended up quitting the Q&A after writing I needed to communicate with a human and I may very well have done some screen grabs of that, which I tend to do a lot.

I suppose I may have run into that system in other situations that I've forgotten about.

But a quick read on one of those pages yesterday was very clear about the limitations still evident in such a bot system. But with the pace of tech advancement we see these days it shouldn't take more than about a decade further to get a lot of those limitations taken care of. Obviously, just thoughts put forth without proper research behind the thinking.

I wonder if bots will ever develop to the point that someday the courts will have to make decisions on bots rights? You know, like humans aren't allowed to refer to them as bots. This AI stuff is taking us into really weird territory, so such thoughts might not be total science fiction in about one hundred years, if we don't nuke ourselves into oblivion.

I remember in maybe 1999, George Carlin at the Washington Press Club stated something like his view was it was time for humans to go bye-bye and let something (someone) else have their chance or something like that. Maybe bots are that something else. I mean, they have bots driving cars now. Heck, bots are building the cars that other bots are driving. What do they need us for?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 06:27:13 PM »
      90% of "AI" is

"did what they typed include These words? then give this canned reply."

They seldom involve any actual "machine learning". Instead they boil down to algorithms. Some "impressive" displays of AI are literally markov chain generators that are able to interpret sentences and re-use those words in new sentences.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

MichaelNyby

Topic Starter

Beginner
        « Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 07:35:21 PM »
        Obviously the key is being creative. I'll bet there are some papers out there on the Net by academics that have written about whether bots can get to that stage of being creative.

What system is used to measure the length of a programming code for a bot? I guess I'm cheating by asking here, because that info is likely to be found on the Net, yes?

Still, the code for a particularly high class bot must be huge --- you know, like a million pages. Okay, maybe 100,000 pages?

Wait, it would never get to hard copy, would it? Would remain digital and be put on special storage disks, right? Or is that with a 'c' --- disc. My brain really has started playing games with me after the relapse and the chemo they did. Hardcore chemicals, that stuff. But it kept me alive. Just an observation about the brain not working. Please don't kick out any sorry messages. Really isn't necessary. Really. Having gone through it and being alive is plenty cool and no need for sorry stuff related to it. Please.

Heh, do any of you know about a good forum where posting about medical issues is the key point of the forum. I asked on another site and didn't get any good result. I also have done some serious checking and also not finding any good Online Community for that topic. Somebody wrote I should use Reddit, but I am not a big fan of that sort of platform.

My gosh, sorry for going way off topic there. Like an old man, eh? But then I am an old man. Anybody want some TRS80 stuff? Two computers, bunches of the old true floppies, and even that huge manual that came with the TRS80. Sure was a long time ago. Only bots then were military style early ones, I think.
        « Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 08:32:21 PM by MichaelNyby »

MichaelNyby

Topic Starter

Beginner
          « Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 01:03:40 AM »
          It seems there are more and more folks asking questions about where all this AI stuff is heading and I remembered this thread, even though it was started a year ago.

I just saw some comment by a scholar or professional of some sort that made the assertion that AI can understand creativity, but cannot create. An interesting bit of thinking there.

About a week or so ago I updated my thinking to when an AI type entity can make a human laugh by making the joke itself, then we need to start to worry.

And I better apologize up front, as I haven't checked to see whether there are more recent threads on all this AI stuff. I'll go do that now. I thought I was in a hurry, but maybe I can be more polite and look around the community for a bit.