Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Plugging in a disc makes everything not work  (Read 18933 times)

al802

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Plugging in a disc makes everything not work
    « on: April 30, 2022, 12:13:03 AM »
    Let me paint a bigger picture here, today when i booted up my PC after loading screen black screen with a cursor appeard. After 5 minutes or so i forced shut down with button because nothing seemed to happen.
    This happened one more time and then while booting up this disc only bsod "unmountable boot volume" appeard even after countless restets and tinkering with BIOS settings.
    So i assumed there is something wrong with my system SSD disc, i plugged in my old disc that was the exact copy of the main one from 3 months ago to run some tests with chkdsk and diskpart and guess what? I can't boot any disc or even win10 USB drive ONLY when my main disc is plugged in.
    So i booted with my old disc connected, turned on disc management tool and then connected my main drive and LITERALLY everything related to discs stops working, disk manager doesn't respond, file explorer is unusable when i click on the disc, can't view device properties and diskpart is just frozen just as chkdsk and disconnecting the broken disc fixes all these issues.

I was slowly losing hope, i unplugged every data device except bootable USB with a win10 installation, clicked on repair my PC and then plugged my broken main disc and guess again what happened - every repair tool stopped working and the moment i unplugged the broken disc everything starts working again.

So my question is: is there any hope for restoring data from this disc? Is there any possibilities of at least formatting it?

Windows 10
    Old (working) disc: 120gb kingston
    New (broken) disc: 480gb SanDisc (used for 3 months)

MichaelNyby

Beginner
      • Experience: Familiar
      Re: Plugging in a disc makes everything not work
      « Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 05:25:13 PM »
      My goodness, I am only posting to commend you on the detail. Good to see somebody for a change post details properly. As for answers, though, I best let somebody that knows the Win10 system. So far I have only one Win10 unit that I don't use too much. Although I sense this isn't solely a situation centered on the type of OS.

Anyway, just wanted to commend you on the detail and hope others see how you posted and take a lesson from that alone.