Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win95 lockup problem  (Read 4338 times)

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Familiar
    Win95 lockup problem
    « on: February 21, 2006, 09:25:10 AM »
    I've got a small problem with Windows 95, on our old HP Pavilion 7285 200mhz PC.  Windows 95 starts up normally, and runs very fast most of the time.  But when I go into an MS-DOS game, and exit back to Windows, the screen freezes.  Is there any fix for this?  I tried using PC Doc Pro, but although it fixed registry errors, the problem still occurs.  As of now I'm trying to avoid the problem by shutting down and going to MS-DOS before I attempt to use a DOS program.

GX1_Man

Re: Win95 lockup problem
    « Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 09:41:24 AM »
    Hey, Darth, I feel like we are old friends now.

Are any conflicts showing in Device manager/ Is this a reasonably fresh install? When you  restart in DOS does everything work there as opposed to doing this as a DOS program under Windows/ Sometimes the latter can be problematic.

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 10:10:55 AM »
      Hey, Darth, I feel like we are old friends now.

Are any conflicts showing in Device manager/ Is this a reasonably fresh install? When you  restart in DOS does everything work there as opposed to doing this as a DOS program under Windows/ Sometimes the latter can be problematic.

Later on, possibly tomorrow, I'll check the device manager.  I don't remember there being any conflicts, but I'll see.  No, it's not a fresh install.  Windows 95 has been on there for a good number of years.  When I restart in DOS, everything works there as opposed to when I run a DOS program under Windows.  That is, the programs run fine under Windows, it just locks up when I exit out of them, and I wind up seeing a ton of vertical lines on the screen.  Would it be necessary to re-install Windows to fix this issue?  I don't want to have to do that unless absolutely necessary.
      « Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 10:12:17 AM by DarthMaul »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 07:31:52 PM »
      For a lot of reasons it might be time for a fresh install.  ;)

Ryan

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 07:57:59 PM »
        *Sigh*  Might as well.  I'll do that in the future, once I have replaced the CD-ROM drive and have the soundcard I want.  That'll spruce up that old PC.  Now that I used PCDocPro to clean up the registry, things will be easier.  At least I'll have a breather.  I need to take a break from that PC and stick with my Dell for a while.