Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How much RAM is supported by old PC  (Read 31185 times)

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    How much RAM is supported by old PC
    « on: June 08, 2022, 01:33:24 PM »
    Hello
    I have an old PC 'Intel Pentium E2200 CPU, 1 GB RAM, Windows 7 as O.S.'. I want to add some RAM. How much RAM is supported by it?
    Thank you very much.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: How much RAM is supported by old PC
    « Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 04:45:53 PM »
    What MBoard ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 10:56:51 PM »
      Image of the motherboard here:

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 01:51:56 AM »
      2 x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM slots – Dual Channel DDR2 800/667 MHz non-ECC, un-buffered memory (Max 4GB)
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 06:21:17 AM »
        Lisa
        Thank you very much. Can you please tell how you find out this information (RAM capacity especially)?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 02:35:43 AM »
        Hi googled your motherboard model

Here is the list of memory supported
         https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Memory/motherboard_memory_ga-eg31m-s2.pdf?v=ef8ca60e6511ce462e9636075e1e7701

You will see on the list the maximum memory size is 2 GB in each socket.
        You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
        ― John Bunyan

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2022, 02:24:47 AM »
          Lisa;
          If I buy a 4GB for it, can I install windows 10 or 11 on it?

DaveLembke

Sage
          • Certifications: List
          • Computer: Specs
          « Reply #7 on: December 03, 2022, 04:25:29 PM »
          You will need 2 x 2GB memory sticks to add up to 4GB, and yes you can install Windows 10 to this, but not Windows 11 because Windows 11 has a TPM 2.0 Requirement that this board does not have. *NOTE: If you plan on running Windows 10 64-bit on this system you will want a SSD drive because 4GB RAM will cause excessive paging which will bring a mechanical hard drive to a crawl with all the virtual memory requests of paging. SSD's are fast and you wont notice this paging issue with a SSD. Windows 10 64-bit runs best with 8GB RAM, where you dont have excessive paging happening. If the board supported 8GB RAM a mechanical hard drive wouldnt be all that bad, but with every system I installed Windows 10 to with regular hard drive and 4GB or less RAM, it was lagging when expecting system to be responsive. SSD upgrade made all the difference to removing the OS Lag.

More on TPM 2.0 Here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enable-tpm-2-0-on-your-pc-1fd5a332-360d-4f46-a1e7-ae6b0c90645c

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2022, 04:03:58 AM »
            DaveLembke
            Do you mean if I install a 128GB SSD hard drive with 4GB Ram on this PC, then I can install and use Windows 10 x64 without any problem? If you are not sure, please tell me not to do that, since I must buy the SSD and the RAM and those are not cheap for my pocket. Are you sure if I do that, then I will not have problem to work with PC?
            Thank you very much for your help.
            M.

Quantos

Guru
            • Veni, Vidi, Vici
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #9 on: December 18, 2022, 05:33:56 PM »
                 You'd might as well burn your money as spend any money on that PC unless you have absolutely no other choice.
            Evil is an exact science.

DaveLembke

Sage
            • Certifications: List
            « Reply #10 on: January 10, 2023, 07:28:54 PM »
            I side with Quantos on this one... unless you already have the parts or are getting them inexpensively, the money would best be towards a newer computer.

Additionally the Pentium E2200 CPU is very very weak in processing power and even with Windows 7 32-bit that would have been not that well performing.

If you have a tight budget and need to have it running Windows 10 OS, I'd find a replacement with 8 GB of RAM if possible. There are places online that sell refurbished desktops with a warranty and a legal copy of Windows 10 installed. A few months ago a friend of mine got some 2nd Generation Core i5 Dells with Windows 10 64-bit and 8GB RAM with 1TB HDD and 256GB SSD refurbished for $129.99 USD.

If your budget is not enough to get a more modern Core i3 or i5 and you dont need to have Windows OS, I'd suggest a refurbished ASUS Chromebook of the model C202SA which I was able to get myself for $35 USD each and free shipping. The ASUS C202SA has 4GB RAM and 16GB eMMC internal storage, but supports USB flash drives and external hard drives if needing to store or access data greater than 16GB in capacity. Additionally with a gmail account you can sign into the Chromebook and it will sync with your 15GB or larger cloud storage with Google if you configure it to do this.

I use to tell people to avoid Chromebooks because of their limitations and the price new to which they were sold between ($149.99 and $349.99 ), but at around $35 for a refurbished Chromebook they are suddenly worth having around as $35 to do all that they can do and 8 hours or longer battery life after full charge is really good. Chromebooks work well with webpage surfing, watching streaming and video content, playing games and running software located at the google play store, as well as for accessing and editing/creating Office documents. *Only catch to the cheap Chromebooks out there is that eventually the OS version of Chrome OS ( based on Linux ) will become obsolete and online features may become deminished. But if your a heavy user and looking to get a few years out of a computer for $35 USD before features may deminish it might be worth it to buy cheap and save up for something better later.

As for myself I use the ASUS C202SA Chromebook for greater than 95% of everything I do anymore and so I am getting my $35 moneys worth out of it. Its only when I want to play games intended for being run on Windows OS that I have to use my Windows 10 computer instead.

And lastly the ASUS C202SA is a Special Edition Chromebook that was never intended to be sold to the public. It was a model designed for heavy use for the education system for students and teachers and so it is of rugged design intended to get bumped around in a back pack etc and take bumps and drops. Additionally its designed in a way that is of modular component assembly which means they were designed to be able to be repaired by the school staff who purchased them easily. So I bought 1 of these and liked it so much that I bought 3 more for a total of 4 of them to have them precharged and myself and my family and friends can just grab one and use it then plug it in to charge when done with it. No more people having to take turns at a family computer.