Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to partition this SSD before/after cloning?  (Read 12962 times)

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• ole dog learning new tricks
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • My first self-built computer
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
How to partition this SSD before/after cloning?
« on: August 04, 2022, 03:10:55 PM »
This is a new laptop I bought with original Windows 10 Pro on 256Gb SSD. I plan to upgrade to 1 Tb SSD but need to figure out how these partitions work before cloning or deleting, shrinking or extending any of them.
 This 'D' drive currently contains nothing. In the past, with optical (CD/DVD) drives, weren't they usually labeled as 'D' drive?
This machine has no optical drive so what's the SSD drive partition 'D' being used for?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: How to partition this SSD before/after cloning?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2022, 04:54:41 PM »
Hi

As the 2 partitions have bitlocker encrytion enabled you will need to do the folowing.

With an 8GB or larger pendrive make windows recovery media. tthi explains how to do this
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-recovery-drive-abb4691b-5324-6d4a-8766-73fab304c246#WindowsVersion=Windows_10

Then copy off all  your data to somewhere else, onedrive or another pendrive.

Install the replacement drive you can either leave bitlocker enabled in the bios or turn it off and then re install Windows.

Transfer back any data you need.

You could also disable bitlocker as explained here

https://windowsreport.com/disable-bitlocker-windows-8/

Then delete the D partition and resize the c partition using the D drive space so freeing up 130gb.
If you disable bitlocker you could copy the orginal drive with the tools avaliable from most SSD manufactures and then just swap the drives.   

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 10:08:16 AM »
This laptop is not brand new. I bought it fron a reputable seller on Ebay as refurbished. I'm assuming it was used in a corporate setting logged in to that network and secured somehow through the administrator of that network (something I have little inderstanding of, but I think may have something to do with my new problem):
Item on Ebay is here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/275384988654

In response to your reply: I made a OS recovery media on a 32gb USB drive, copied my files to a 1 tb external HD, then I 'reset Windows - without keeping my files' in order to correct a mistake I made configuring the target  location of Documents, Photo's, Music, etc files over to 'D' partition (which I didn't know how to 'undo')
 Then, when setting up the OS, it made it through Location screen (checked US), Keyboard screen (checked US), Additional Keyboard screen (checked SKIP), then the next screen asked for my xxx.hp.com email address. Since I don't have a hp.com email address I selected the only option, 'Sign in with a Security Key inserted into the USB port'. Since I don't have a security key either I'm stuck right here, unable to setup the OS.
I ordered a Yubikey 5 UFC but I don't know anything about using it, although I suspect it may not be helpful since I'm already locked out of my system.
How do I get past this login/security key screen?

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2022, 10:12:06 AM »
login screen 1

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 10:15:38 AM »
login screen 2

lectrocrew

Topic Starter

Mentor

• Yes
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 10:18:10 AM »
login screen 3