Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem with Lenovo Tab screen after replacement  (Read 8319 times)

Wortex001

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Problem with Lenovo Tab screen after replacement
    « on: October 27, 2022, 06:51:36 AM »
    Hello. I turn to the aces of technology with a humble question.

My boy broke the screen of his tablet: Lenovo Tab M10 HD (2nd Gen) WiFi + LTE, ZA6V0123SE

Since an unreasonable amount of money was asked for the replacement of the screen (it is more reasonable to buy a new board), as a last option I ordered a replacement screen from e-bay and did the replacement myself (I do have some previous experience with tinkering with electronics).

Since both the glass/digitizer and the LCD itself were broken I ordered the Digitizer and LCD-Display assembly - a B category spare part.

In itself, the change was easy. I have plastic tools with which I could pry the old screen apart (the glue gives way) and then I disconnected the ribbon cable from the side of the board. Since the new screen didn't come with a cable, I used the existing one, disconnected it from the connector of the old screen and attached it to the new one. The cable was stuck with a piece of kapton tape, so I had to carefully remove it first (and later attach it to the new screen).

Next, I put the board to work (I didn't apply new glue right away). The screen does work, but I could immediately see delicate light stripes running through the screen (picture added). In addition, it turned out that the screen does not respond to touch as it should. It worked OK for about the first 10 seconds, but then it didn't respond at all, and after a while it started giving commands spontaneously - it opened apps and closed them itself (as if it was pressed by an invisible finger).

The first thought was that the connection is bad, but I checked it and everything seems to be OK. There is a connector with a lever on the side of the screen, and the cable has a thin white line that shows where it must go to the connector. All looks fine. The board side makes a "click" when the connector is inserted and a small plastic cover goes on top with a screw. I cleaned the surfaces just in case and reconnected, but it didn't bring any change.

Another thought is that the screen is faulty.

Before I start attacking the seller, maybe someone can advise what else to check and how to determine whether the error is in the connection, the cable (perhaps it was somehow damaged when I removed the tape) or is it indeed the screen.

Many thanks.

NB! I also added pictures of the connection, screen and cable. For the picture, the tape on the cable and the mounting clip on the board side have been removed.