Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Latitude laptop, no longer powers up  (Read 10927 times)

Janis

Topic Starter

Beginner

Dell Latitude laptop, no longer powers up
    « on: December 06, 2022, 01:39:29 PM »
    My OLD Dell latitude,  a companion of many years appears to be no longer chargeable.   i bought a new battery and new charger but that doesn't help.   I always get the message that I am low on charge and to charge it up.  Other than discarding it,  is there something I am missing?   I am thinking the motherboard for some reason has partially or largely died and the electrical function no longer works.   Is there something else I could try before discarding the unit?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Dell Latitude laptop, no longer powers up
    « Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 02:14:53 PM »
    It could be referring to the standby battery or the CMOS battery, both of which are internal to the unit, rather than the actual main battery.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Janis

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 03:14:54 PM »
      Would you please deine  "standby' battery?   

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
      • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 04:19:26 PM »
      Many older laptops had a "standby battery" which was designed to allow the main battery to be swapped in standby mode.
      I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 12:23:41 AM »
      Hi Janis,

Check windows is completely up to date, there was a problem with Dell Inspirons which would not show the correct battery state after a windows update. This was fixed in a later update for windows.

Also check in device manager to get there just type in (device manager) and check there isn't anything with exclmation marks partically the SMI bus controller.

Also if you press F2 when first turning the laptop on you can check in the cmos the status of the power brick and the battery this is more actuate than the battery monitor in windows.

How to access device manager        https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00122116

Access Latitude bios             https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-enter-bios-on-a-dell-latitude
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan