Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Replacing RAM between two laptops  (Read 13307 times)

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Replacing RAM between two laptops
    « on: December 08, 2022, 12:37:15 AM »
    Hello
    I have two laptops:
    1- VIO Sony VGN-FW290 with 2GB RAM DDR2 (2*1), 2 Slots, Form factor: SODIMM. Speed: 20307MHz. The RAM can increased up to 8GB.
    2- Dell Inspiron 5559 with 8GB RAM DDR3 (2*4), 2 Slots, Form factor: SODDIM, Speed: 1600MHz. The RAM can increased up to 16GB.
    The question is if the second laptop's RAM is suitable for the first one? If so, then I can replace it and buy a new 16GB (2*8) RAM for second laptop.
    What is your idea?
    Thank you very much.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Replacing RAM between two laptops
    « Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 01:01:31 AM »
    The Ramm is NOT transferable, The Sony is DDR2 memory and the Dell is DDR3 memory which is not the same. If you want to increase the memory in either laptop then you will need to buy the correct memory .

If both Laptops are using their orginal harddrives it may be a better proformance improvement installing SSD drives rather than more memory.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

[email protected]

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 03:07:23 AM »
      Both have SSD drive, but I want to install several virtual machines on them. I hope increasing in RAM make its performance better.
      What do you think about?

DaveLembke

Sage
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 10:33:16 PM »
      CPU on the VIO is aged and will probably struggle to run more than 2 instances of an OS concurrently ( Physical OS + 1 Virtual ) beyond that expect lots of lag if wanting to load up many active virtual machines!

The i5 in Inspiron 5559 can handle more, but the more instances of concurrent virtual machines the more lag is going to happen with the processing juggle.

How many virtual machine instances do you need on each machine and what kind of performance expectations do you have for them?

Quantos

Guru
      • Veni, Vidi, Vici
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: December 18, 2022, 05:37:44 PM »
      What do you want to do on a VM?  Let's see if that's even possible with that hardware first.
      Evil is an exact science.