Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Setting Up Website on Symbology NAS  (Read 36781 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Setting Up Website on Symbology NAS
« on: December 21, 2022, 04:59:13 PM »
This may seem like a stupid, basic question.

I pay $99/year to Wordpress to host my blog. I have a couple of domain names, so it adds up.

I moved my music library onto a Symbology NAS server, and have TBs of spare disk space.

Is it possible to use that server to host my website? Like, I can assign it my domain name and just use my home network to manage the traffic?

Is that a stupid question?

Any resources you recommend I check out?

Thanks!
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Setting Up Website on Symbology NAS
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2022, 09:46:51 PM »
It is technically possible to setup your own web server, and then you can have it use storage wherever you want. Though you would definitely run into problems like not enough upload bandwidth, your IP address changing and needing frequent updating (or using dyndns), or even violating your ISP TOS.

If you are asking if your website could somehow access your NAS, though, the answer, realistically, is no.

I'd argue that what you are paying for isn't so much "online storage"- you are paying for hosting, which is an altogether different ball of wax.

And, $99 a year for hosting isn't too bad. I pay about $450 a year (29.99 per month) for the hosting of mine, not including the cost of the two domains each year. (It is also a VPS, which means I get the joy of maintaining everything myself, or uh, not, as tends to be the case)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Setting Up Website on Symbology NAS
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 05:13:30 PM »
Thanks. I wasn't thinking I'd access my NAS through the website - just I had lots of extra storage, and it looked like part of the server's software included interfacey-type-stuff.

Hadn't considered that would violate ToS. I'll have to dig into that. It would never be anything that would break the net - no Taylor Swift tickets or anything like that. Mostly a vanity site to showcase my writing, and to make me look like a real grown-up.

My hope is ultimately consolidate everything, and just have the different existing URLs all redirect.

Problem is, the main domain I want to use (and own), I am hopelessly locked out of, and can't get past Tier One help. But that's another saga for another day!
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.