Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 adapters on the same PC?  (Read 16536 times)

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

2 adapters on the same PC?
    « on: January 11, 2023, 01:01:53 PM »
    Hello

I have a working wireless PC with an installed network adapter. I have now acquired another Win 10 PC for which I have bought a USB wireless adapter to give it wireless capability. This new wireless adapter features in Device Manager with its up to date driver. However, when I click on the Internet connection icon near the clock, I don't see any available connections, not even my own. Windows tells me that no connections have been set up. In Command
    Prompt I can see
    Wireless Wi-Fi 2:

Media disconnected

and when I ping 192.168.1.1, there is a 100% loss.

Maybe the new wireless adapter can't see the dongle that I am using? Physically, they are about 6 inches apart. The dongle is working because I am posting this message using the same dongle. So, I am proposing to test the new wireless adapter + driver with the PC I am now using to try to identify what the problem is - is it with the new adapter? But can I have two different adapters and drivers on the same PC and how do I know which adapter Windows would be using to connect me to the Internet?

Many thanks.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: 2 adapters on the same PC?
    « Reply #1 on: January 17, 2023, 04:15:13 PM »
    What is the make/model of the adapter your trying to use and what type of wifi are you attempting to connect to such as Wireless B, G, N, or AC?

Additionally if the wireless adapter came with a driver, I'd use that driver instead of the one that Windows decided to install for it and see if that helps.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 02:45:56 AM »
      Hello Dave

Thanks for your reply.

It's called Archer T2U Plus - a USB adapter. I am trying to connect using WP2 - Personal. The driver came on a CD.

Thanks again.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 09:08:21 PM »
      When connected to WIFI and running IPCONFIG/ALL in command shell, does it show an IP through DHCP lease or something different for this adapter like 169.x.x.x or 0.0.0.0?

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 06:35:04 PM »
        Thanks Dave.

When I go to cmd prompt and type ipconfig/all, I see:

Wireless Wi-Fi 2:

Media disconnected
        Physical address: 14-EB-B6-85-CO-EF
        DHCP Enabled: Yes
        Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes

When I then ping 192.168.1.1, there is a 100% loss.

Wi-Fi 2 is the new TP Link wireless adapter I have. TP Link, the company, suggest I plug in their adapter to the PC I am typing this message on, but I wasn't sure if I could have to wireless adapters on this one PC - hence my post here.

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: January 20, 2023, 09:16:32 PM »
        You can test it on the other computer, just disable the existing wireless adapter so that it has to use the TP-Link adapter vs the other. And after testing remove the TP-Link and enable the other existing adapter, but not have both active at same time.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 06:19:39 PM »
          Hello Dave

The wireless adapter works on my own PC, so the problem lies with the other PC. I suspect it's a motherboard problem.

Thanks for your advice!

High1

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #7 on: January 27, 2023, 06:08:03 PM »
          I'd backup data on the other system and perform a clean build as for a clean install of OS could be a cure for this issue vs assuming motherboard related hardware issue.

High1

Topic Starter

Apprentice

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 01:42:05 AM »
            The adapter works with my normal PC, so there is a problem with the motherboard on the other. I have earmarked for the rubbish bin. many thanks Dave.