Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD-RW won't write  (Read 4403 times)

peergynt

Topic Starter

Rookie
    CD-RW won't write
    « on: February 20, 2006, 05:07:09 AM »
    Hi,

I hope I'm posting in the right place here.  I just installed a Samsung CD-RW Drive on my Windows 2000 Server system (SP4).  The drive has the label Compact Disc ReWritable on the front panel, if it matters to anyone.

The drive reads CDs just fine, but it can't write to a CD-R disk with label Compact Disc Recordable on the front panel (I don't have any other discs to try).  For example, if I paste an item from my hard drive onto the CD icon in Windows Explorer, then the message reads: D:\ is not accessible.  Incorrect Function.

The Windows Device Manager indicates that 'This device is working properly', so I don't think that this is a hardware problem.

And I'm not convinced that I need burning software like Nero.  Isn't there a function within Windows 2000 that can format CDs so they can be burned?  And can't I then just drag and drop items onto the CD drive letter?

In any case, no software came with this drive.

I know the error message above is a common problem for some reason, but I've only seen solutions for Windows XP.  Does anyone have any ideas about how to fix it in Windows 2000?

Thanks for any suggestions!

P.G.

Mr_President

Re: CD-RW won't write
    « Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 05:42:02 AM »
    It will read OK but you'll need some sort of software to be able to burn anything. I use NERO on XP and use the native XP drag and drop to burn files to CD instead of using NERO's InCD.

You could try DeepBurner which has a freeware version.

FREEWARE
    « Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 05:43:03 AM by Mr_President »

peergynt

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 04:33:16 PM »
      Thanks for the reply!

When I bought the drive, the (preoccupied with listening to music) sales kid insisted that I don't need any kind of software to burn CDs.  I kind of knew that it wouldn't work without it, but I hadn't done any tech work on my PCs in years, so I believed him.  Plus, he was the only one in the store.  

So I went back today and spoke with another guy.  He gave me the Nero disc that was supposed to accompany the drive.   I spent so much time this weekend trying to figure out why it didn't work.  Now I know.

Thanks for the DeepBurner advice.  My next step would've been to get some freeware to solve this.

Mr_President

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 04:52:41 PM »
      Thanks for the reply!

When I bought the drive, the (preoccupied with listening to music) sales kid insisted that I don't need any kind of software to burn CDs.  I kind of knew that it wouldn't work without it, but I hadn't done any tech work on my PCs in years, so I believed him.  Plus, he was the only one in the store.  

So I went back today and spoke with another guy.  He gave me the Nero disc that was supposed to accompany the drive.   I spent so much time this weekend trying to figure out why it didn't work.  Now I know.

Thanks for the DeepBurner advice.  My next step would've been to get some freeware to solve this.

So that is how the OEM software goes missing.

Glad to hear that you got a good result.