Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: O/T - External BT Speaker  (Read 19563 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
O/T - External BT Speaker
« on: February 23, 2023, 11:37:02 AM »
This is a little off topic, but I figured there's enough smart people here.

I have an external Bluetooth speaker that's groovy. I had a portable CD player (like a Discman) that played via BT to the speaker. Everything was groovy.

Until I dropped the CD player.

I bought an IDENTICAL model. And I get a high-pitched whine when I play back the CD.

Obviously I can't prove it but I swear the old CD player did not do this.

I figured it was defective, so I tried to buy a new one. In the last week, Amazon has sold out. So I bought a similar, but more expensive model. It whines too!

Here's the deets:
  • I get a high-pitched whine when I play a CD through the BT speaker.
  • I do not get it when I listen to a CD through headphones. I do not get it when I play music from my PC to the BT speaker.
  • There is a "rotational" sound to the whine.
  • The whine stops when the disc is PAUSED.
  • It does not seem to get louder or softer with the CD player's volume (although when the CD volume is at 0, it stops.)
  • My BT speaker is BT only - that is, no RCA input. There are no volume controls on the speaker.
  • This happens when my speaker is plugged in/charging and when it's unplugged/running on battery.
  • This happens regardless of whether or not the lights are on in my office, or if the air handler is running.
Any ideas?
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: O/T - External BT Speaker
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2023, 04:57:22 PM »
What powers the CD player ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2023, 11:15:43 AM »
Forgot to include.  It's got an internal battery,  charges via USB. The sound occurs whether it not it's playing of battery or plugged in/charging...
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 05:34:44 PM »
Have you tried the speaker on another device ? ?...that would elimanate 1 variable...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2023, 04:43:53 PM »
  • I do not get it when I listen to a CD through headphones. I do not get it when I play music from my PC to the BT speaker.
I'm just gonna return it... Time to throw in the towel.