Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to read crash dump file?  (Read 36806 times)

RajeevElzrando

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    How to read crash dump file?
    « on: January 01, 2023, 09:05:01 PM »
    I am new to debugging and understanding how crash works. I installed crash on my debian 9 and then simulated crash to test and read the dump file. It first complained it had no debug kernel. After installing I get the following error which means the debug kernel and dump file does not match.

WARNING: kernel relocated [674MB]: patching 77334 gdb minimal_symbol values

WARNING: cannot read linux_banner string crash: /usr/lib/debug/vmlinux-4.9.0-18-amd64 and dump.202211241353 do not match!

On further looking I found out I have following version : 4.9.0-9-amd64 whereas I have installed debug kernel vmlinux-4-9.0.18 which I think is the case. I have looked for the version 4.9.0-9 but i cannot find debug kernel in such version.

Can anyone guide me how I can read my dump files alternatively. Is there a way I can update or downgrade to bring the versions exactly same? Any help would be appreciated.

I used the following command : crash /usr/lib/debug/vmlinux-4.9.0-18-amd64 dump.202211241353 and I was expecting that I could analyze the dump file.