Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Clone or Image  (Read 18064 times)

bigal50

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Clone or Image
    « on: March 25, 2023, 07:14:10 PM »
    Hello ,,,

I have a Dell Pentium Dual Core 2.7 with 2 Gb Ram running Windows 10 Pro with a 370GB Hard drive. I am sure the HD is going bad its making a whining sound. My plan is to Clone the HD onto a larger hard drive. Then replace the failing HD with the cloned HD. I found a program on line called Macrium Reflect which claims it can perform the cloning process. Has anyone ever used this program of offer an words of advice before I undertake this project?????

AAO

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Clone or Image
    « Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 05:08:43 AM »
    Macrium is one of the best utilities available for imaging and cloning. You mayor may not need to pay for the professional version in order to clone the drive,

bigal50

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2023, 01:38:22 PM »
      Good to know !!!

Thanks

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 03:25:52 PM »
      Hi just something to consider if the drive is making noises it would pay to check the power supply voltages are correct.
      Also in a computer with only 2gb of memory running windows 10 there is a lot more drive activity which will wear a SSD drive out sooner. Perhaps a memory upgrade would be a good option.
      Crucial and Samsung have  data migration software free when used with their drives. 
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan