Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Black screen on Acer Aspire  (Read 19783 times)

Jazzy88

Topic Starter

Rookie

Black screen on Acer Aspire
    « on: April 08, 2023, 08:08:31 PM »
    I hope this is the correct forum for this question. My daughter has an Acer Aspire 5 and I wanted to add some memory to it. I searched on the Crucial website to find out which memory sticks to use and ordered 2 8GB. I popped out the two 4GB sticks and put in the new ones, put everything back together, and started it up. Everything comes on - the keyboard is lit up, I hear the fan, everything seems normal except the screen is just black. I took the new memory out and put the original back in and same thing - black screen. What should I do? Has this happened to anyone else?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Black screen on Acer Aspire
    « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 04:54:41 PM »
    Check on the bottom of the laptop for a small hole with reset beside it. Use a paper clip  to gently hold the the switch in for 30 seconds.
     If there is no hole then disconnect the battery and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Then with the battery disconnected plug in the power supply and see if the Laptop powers up with a display.
    When replacing memory in Laptops I like to disconnect all power and make sure windows is shutdown not in hibernation. 
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan