Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dell Laptop Power Brick Making High-Pitched Noise  (Read 26678 times)

LightUpMyLife

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Dell Laptop Power Brick Making High-Pitched Noise
    « on: May 03, 2023, 06:49:57 AM »
    I just replaced the battery on a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop but a new issue has emerged, the power brick makes an annoying high-pitched squeal when it is plugged in! Is it any kind of fixable issue or should I replace the power brick?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Dell Laptop Power Brick Making High-Pitched Noise
    « Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 10:09:23 PM »
    Hi

When a power supply (powerbrick) makes a high-pitched squeal it is overloaded, either the power brick is failing or the laptop is needing more power than the power brick can supply. What happens when you run the laptop with the battery removed.? If it stops squealing then it is likely the new battery is loading the power supply and maybe faulty. What happens if you let the laptop boot then insert the battery does the power supply start to squeal? if not then leave the laptop to charge the battery and try shutting down and restarting.
    The power supply should be 19.5V 4.62A 90W like this one

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Charger-Compatible-Latitude-Inspiron/dp/B08R5K5D1F/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=dell+inspiron+1545+charger&qid=1683172488&sr=8-8
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan