Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Robocopy Windows 10 - Created invisible folder upon flash drive death  (Read 21066 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
So I have a pile of flash drives with data on them that i am backing up to an external hard drive in folders that are numbered to keep data separate for each thumb drive that is copied. Windows Copy/Paste told me it was going to take 19 hours to copy 32GB of data to the 8TB external HDD and so I stopped the transfer.

I then ran robocopy and the contents were transferred over within a few hours. I then decided to stick with robocopy because its faster and inserted another flash drive this one was 8GB in size and ran the robocopy instruction at command shell to have it copy all contents to a clean directory. Part way through the robocopy to the external drive the flash drive acted up to where it wasnt able to complete. I scanned the flash drive and it was unable to correct the problem with it. I then went to format the flash drive and it then said that the flash drive was 0MB in size. Having seen flash drives die like this in the past i was like well at least I might have a partial backup before the drive failed and so i went to check out what i had for data.

Windows Explorer didnt show the folder, so I did a refresh and still didnt show it. I then was like maybe its hidden and so in command shell I went to the folder that I couldnt see with windows and sure enough its there. Did a DIR and it scrolled all the files and folders. Went to properties in control panel to see if somehow it got a hidden folder attribute and the system is set up to show hidden files and folders.... so somehow the folder is hidden from view to Windows 10 but I can access it through command shell. So I made another folder and ran a quick xcopy to send all contents from this hidden to Windows folder and pass them to a folder that is able to be accessed through Windows. All contents copied over as I compared them within the command shell.

Deleted the hidden from Windows folder with the RD /s/q and it was gone. Renamed the folder with the data to the folder name that was hidden and then had access to the data that was gathered prior to the thumb drive dying during backup.

Question I have is how was a folder able to be made with contents that is accessible from command shell and yet even with see hidden files and folders enabled completely hidden from Windows?

And is there a better instruction to give robocopy to better handle how to send data to an external drive when device its copying from hits corruption or drive failure in the process to avoid having this weird stuff happen? (or) Should I go back to Windows Copy/Paste which is slower and maybe safer for error handling to not corrupt a drive that your backing up to? ( I am so very thankful that robocopy didnt write to the external in a way that corrupted the entire drive as I have data backed up onto this 8TB drive that this drive is the only copy of the rolling backups and if it got corrupt I'd be out lots of irreplaceable data. )

Here is what I used for robocopy command, where the thumb drive to back up is E: and the external 8TB is at D:

robocopy E:\ D:\Backup1 /E /DCOPY:DAT /R:10 /W:3

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
What does the W and R switches do ? ?
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
W = Wait and R = Retry... used mainly for files that might be locked to retry x many times before moving on.

/R:  number of Retries on failed copies: default 1 million.
             /W:  Wait time between retries: default is 30 seconds.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
Hi Dave

If you want Robocopy to not hide files you need   /A-:SH
at the end of the command line.
If Robocopy finds unreadable data it often will stop and not continue, leaving the destination folder open.

I like for it's clean interface and clear error reports Unstoppable copier from  https://www.roadkil.net/program.php?ProgramID=29

Also I would bench mark the 8 tb hard drive as 32gb USB 2.0 should transfer in 2 hours.
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
Thanks Lisa_maree

I used robocopy with that /A-:SH and files disappearing as hidden problem went away. Then was digging into why so slow still and discovered the Windows Defender was scanning drives bringing transfers to a crawl. The data on the drives are all clean and no need to scan it, so instead of disabling Windows Defender from scanning drives I decided to use my Laptop with Linux Mint installed to it to try that out for faster transfers from  USB flash drive to USB external HDD and transfers are super fast now vs taking forever. So I am going to switch it up to copying the data with Linux now as that wont have a virus scan kicking on when wanting to transfer data.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Nice...good to know.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "