Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cloud Based OS  (Read 22265 times)

TheWaffle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Cloud Based OS
« on: July 14, 2023, 10:07:45 PM »
A co-worker recently reminded me that Windows 12 will likely be cloud based like Chrome OS.
https://www.techradar.com/news/could-windows-12-become-microsofts-first-cloud-based-operating-system
Maybe this will be the end of Windows Update wasting our time and interrupting things?

I wonder what it will mean for those of us that still use our computers offline? I have a couple siblings still in school and their Chromebooks are pretty useless without internet.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Cloud Based OS
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2023, 10:54:49 PM »

glathem40

Intermediate
  • Bytor_Snowdog
    • Experience: Familiar
    « Reply #2 on: July 17, 2023, 10:02:09 AM »
    IMHO- Even though technology is constantly changing, When new software, or operating designs render existing hardware obsolete, it is usually initially backward compatible to give the hardware market a chance to catch up.
    Follow the money - Advertising revenue propels the internet. Market forces would not allow advertisers to suddenly be cut off from the lucrative student demographic.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

TheWaffle

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2023, 09:04:57 PM »
    Honestly I am sick of all the updates - on my Windows 11 computer (at my corporate job) the other day Windows Explorer was crashing. Every couple hours it would just quit. One time I went to click the start button and the button stuttered up to the top of the screen. A couple hours of updates and a restart later it was back to working fine again.   :P

At home I have been rockin the classic. I bought old copies of office, and I have found there is very little it can't do. I don't know if OneNote changed at all.

I may resurrect my home cloud project, and use Windows XP as my own Cloud OS (running as a vm probably under libvirt/qemu). I think the trick will be to configuring my firewall to protect XP from random script kiddies.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #4 on: July 31, 2023, 11:43:51 PM »
    Two news things to read over.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/6/27/23775117/microsoft-windows-11-cloud-consumer-strategy

https://www.reuters.com/technology/microsoft-offer-cloud-based-version-windows-operating-system-2021-07-14/

As spotted by The Verge, an internal Microsoft document from June 2022 revealed in the hearing mentions a consumer version of Windows 365. The slide, called "Modern Life strategy and priorities," includes a bullet point labeled 'Move Windows 11 increasingly to the Cloud.'

Somebody explain this please!   :-[