Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Deleted hard drive  (Read 18227 times)

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    • Experience: Beginner
    Deleted hard drive
    « on: October 05, 2023, 06:08:40 AM »
    I deleted everything on a mini PC drive now it can't recover to Windows no more I placed a XP made by Rufus in USB drive it is not recognized and have a windows 11 made from a different computer to USB for backup and not reconized . When it starts only option it goes to controller no USB option as boot device, I set the bios to USB as first boot option before deleting hard drive was wondering if disconnecting battery would accomplish any thing?

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      Re: Deleted hard drive
      « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 08:33:06 AM »
      What have I done first I partition drive c ssd then deleted the partition with windows 11 in it followed by disconnecting battery now I am left with a bios that only choice in boot menu is family controller, but turning on computer it goes to diagnostics and I found command prompt. At x:\windows\system32 I went to diskpart and it lists the hard drive and USB drive with XP installed using Rufus and I also downloaded XP iso to USB drive what I can't figure out is how to get to volume 4 letter F using command prompt so I can start XP?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 02:11:07 PM »
      Hi John,

First off what mini PC, make and model are you working with?
      From your post i assume you want to run windows XP on this computer. If you give the above information i can check if the computer will install and run XP.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

John1397

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 03:24:34 PM »
        Benss Mini PC, Mini Intel 11th Gen 4 Cores N5095, Mini Desktop Computer 8GB DDR4 RAM 256GB SSD, Small Mini Computer Supports HDMI and DP 4K UHD/Gigabit Ethernet/Dual WiFi/BT/VESA for Home/Office Model B00JP3 , I think I am trying to do something that can not be done.  My dream machine is when it comes on it gives you three choices to boot to 1 MSDos 6.0, 2 Windows XP, and 3 Windows 11. XP is a lot faster when using in Oracle Virtual on a new machine. I tried making a bootable XP from iso file to USB fat32 as this machine is uefi didn't work.

TheWaffle

Hopeful
          • Yes
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #4 on: October 08, 2023, 10:26:00 AM »
        Windows XP doesn't support GPT disks or booting from UEFI out of the box. It may be possible to hack it in, but it would take a lot of work, that may not work like you want it to.

Here is an example in a vm.
        https://twitter.com/ntdev_/status/1332759752326209539