Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Chrome 103 - When will this Chrome OS version fail to function for web?  (Read 13624 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Curious if anyone knows this answer. I have 9 ASUS C202SA Chromebooks that I love using and servicing when minor issues happen. I am trying to figure out when they will become end of life as in.... when will youtube fail to work with them and other streaming service fail to work with them such as Hulu and Netfix. Note: I have already run into some streaming apps no longer supported BUT you can watch streaming through the Chrome browser without app installed.

I assume that the Chrome Browser is bound by the OS version 103 and no longer updates. This version was released July 2022. The chromebooks are unable to upgrade to 104 and there is a message that states to buy a newer chromebook to get the latest OS.

Looked on google to try to find the answer to this one and no matter what I enter it doesn''t properly give an end of life date as to when these will fail to work with the web to stream and e-mail and everything else. Just the suggestion to buy newer. Maybe the answer doesn't exist or unknown/yet to be determined?

Got these 9 for $180 which I thought was a bargain at $20 each. But I know their time is limited and so get the most out of them while I can. They do have a Dev mode that might allow me to bend them to do stuff beyond what they were intended to do though as Linux core access is available. Looked to see if they could be jail broken away from Chrome OS and they are well locked to Chrome OS only as some allow jail breaking them away from a chrome OS version lock and install a Linux distro of choice or Windows.

Perhaps I just use them for as long as they work without issues and someday they will no longer function for youtube, hulu, netflix, and e-mail etc.