Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Used motherboard unusable  (Read 11136 times)

pogo

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Used motherboard unusable
« on: January 24, 2024, 07:35:24 PM »
I bought a used Z 390 P on line.  When I had it installed & running  [Z 390 Prime P, i5-8600K, Potenza 16 Gb (2X8 Gb), Seagate 1 TB HDD, my windows 10 PRO], I could not activate Windows 10.

Investigating with "slmgr.dli showed that the motherboard held activation data for Windows 10 Enterprise for a business.  I can't unload the data for that copy of Windows 10 and I don't know why not.  I've had good success in the past buying used hardware.  A $55 lesson on buying used hardware. 

Can anyone tell me how to rid the motherboard of the old activation data?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
  • My first real computer
    • Yes
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Used motherboard unusable
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 01:54:59 PM »
If you have the licence key for the windows 10 pro then use the change key option in Activation.

If you don't have the key then erasing the enterprise key from the bios won't help, you still need a valid key for the version of windows.

Sometimes Microsoft allows activation with another windows key like from windows 7 pro.
You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
― John Bunyan

pogo

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 05:27:07 PM »
Lisa_maree,

I have a genuine copy of Windows 10 PRO linked to my administrators account by digital license.  If I build the computer back to the old state, (Z97 motherboard) Windows shows activated. 

If I build to the new (used Z390 P) state, Windows won't activate.  I am fairly sure I have the original Windows 7-SP1 cd & key.  At least, that is what I wrote on the cd case.  The key won't activate windows 10 nor will the digital license.  That is because the motherboard retains the Windows Enterprise License from the previous owner.  I asked the question because I was curious.

Right now, the computer is down with both HDDs formatted GPT instead of MBR.  (long story)  I will make a call to Microsoft once the computer is running.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2024, 02:03:16 AM »
Windows 7 and 8 Product Keys can no longer be used for new Windows 10 activations, as of late last year.

That is because the motherboard retains the Windows Enterprise License from the previous owner.

The presence of SLP Keys in the System firmware doesn't affect the ability to activate Windows using other mechanisms.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.