Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win XP on Win98  (Read 4287 times)

Rosey

Win XP on Win98
« on: February 19, 2006, 01:41:18 AM »
One of my servers at the back office has Win98 .. i got so pretty bugged that i tried to run the installation for win xp over it .
just after reboot of the installation files for win xp setup did i realise that that machine was a pentium II processor with only 6 MB and three drives equallly dumbly partitioned by somebody ages ago... And so i quit the xp installation.

My problem is whenever i restart the machine the default taken in is WinXP set up log and not the win98 selector.

Could somebody help me in putting the Win98 selector as the booter default..

wat next after i get into the msconfig command ???

HELP !!!

rockerest

Hopeful
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Win XP on Win98
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 03:26:12 AM »
Never done this before, so I'm just guessing...

Once you're inside the msconfig utility, click on the tab that says "boot.ini"
There should be a white box with text in it.
find the [operating systems] line
there should be two strings below it
if you scroll to the right a little bit, one should say something like "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" or "Microsoft Windows XP Home"
and the other should be something like "Microsoft Windows 98"
Select the line that says "Microsoft Windows 98" and click the [[Move Up]] button.

Click Apply, then OK
Try rebooting....

I did all this from inside Windows XP Pro, and I don't have 98 installed, so I'm completely guessing, let me know.

-rock
In general, the PEBKAC.  Whether it's now or was three weeks ago, the PEBKAC.
Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Rosey

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 09:08:32 PM »
Thanks Rock...

I saw the boot.ini tag in the msconfig utility RUNNING ON WIN XP , but the win98 OS has got different tabs over it PROGRAMS.INI AND WAT NOT NOTTING called boot.ini....

I hope i can get thru this thing... and i dont see anything similar to Windows 98 written anywhere within the win98 utility...weird..

the last option is to completely format the machine or dispose it and bring in some new xp P4 machine

« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 09:12:39 PM by Rosey »

rockerest

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 01:00:30 PM »
OK, lemme check some other computers, I think I've got one running 98...
Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

rockerest

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 01:23:57 PM »
Hum....that 98 msconfig is, well.........confusing.......makes me glad I upgraded.......
I couldn't find anything in the msconfig window on 98.

Still checking out options.....

If this is time critical, you may just want to reformat your hard drive.  It's not preferable, especially if there's anything on there you want to keep, but it might be quicker.  I'm not an expert on any system, much less 98, so if you want to do this without reformatting, you'll have to hang with me......

-rock

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 03:59:55 PM »
What if you boot wioth a Win98 floppy and type in

fdisk /mbr

and  then

sys c:

www.bootdisk.com if you need a boot disk.

Rosey

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 03:08:48 AM »
Thanks much rockerest ... the problem is fixed up ... my better half helped me at solving this problem !!
if u have a WIN98 machine u will indeed have a boot.ini file in the C:\WINDOWS folder...
under [operating systems] delete the one that is not needed and
under default : simple leave default:C:\         deleting the rest that comes after the back slash...

that solves the problem....
dont forget to change the props of boot.ini to read only....

Appreciate ur response !!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 03:09:54 AM by Rosey »

rockerest

Hopeful
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 05:59:24 AM »
No Problem, did you try GX1's idea?  I would assume it'd probably work, too...

edit:
On the other hand, if the problem was fixed by editing the boot.ini file...would a Master Boot Record fix do the trick?  Are the MBR and boot.ini the same thing?  I thought that the MBR was a bunch of sectors on the HD that the BIOS read when it started up, having nothing to do with boot.ini.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 05:54:15 PM by rockerest »