Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: TCPIP protocol missing in Win ME  (Read 1830 times)

phoneguy1

TCPIP protocol missing in Win ME
« on: March 04, 2006, 12:03:45 PM »
Hi - I used to have ISDN working on a Win ME operating system (DSL and/or broadband were not available in my area) and it worked fine (or as fine as it gets with ISDN).  I now have broadband through Atlantic Broadband, so I uninstalled the ISDN software.  It appears it also removed the TCPIP protocol for networking.  When I go to Control Panel, Networks, Protocols and click "Add", there is nothing available under Protocols/Microsoft.  I searched the machine for any *.inf files and found none related to networking.  The original installation CD is no help either, says right on it "No drivers are on this CD, for reinstall only".  I'd like to download the protocol I need, but can't find it on the Microsoft support site.  Anybody know of where to look and precisely what it would be called?  Trying to hook up to a Netgear LAN.  I'm thinking it should work with just standard TCPIP bindings, but I'm not sure.  Any help or direction will be appreciated.  Thanks    :-?

Backdated

Re: TCPIP protocol missing in Win ME
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 02:22:42 PM »
I know you've probaboly done this already but we have to make sure:

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 04:47:20 PM »
    ROTFLMFAO

Backdated

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 05:10:10 PM »
    Huh? Sumfink wrong with my colour scheme or sumfink? ;) ;D

phoneguy1

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 09:28:34 AM »
    Thanks for the info and, yes, That's exactly where I was talking about.  when I clicked on "Protocol" and then on "Microsoft", it was blank, no protocol choices to make.  Problem is now fixed, I replaced TCPIP.sys in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and was also able to get tcpip.inf from a friend.  Don't know if TCPIP.sys was corrupted or it was the "missing" .inf file, but it works now.  Thanks all for your efforts!   ;D
    « Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 09:31:10 AM by phoneguy1 »