Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New computer not working. Grr!  (Read 26320 times)

Shana-chan

Re: New computer not working. Grr!
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2006, 07:53:22 PM »
Last update: I checked the BIOS and it is the newest version.

Good news: I ran MaxBlast and it recognized it as a 250GB drive, and partitioned it in half. I'm now installing WinXP and it didn't give me the black screen after installing. YAY! So maybe it might be working now.

Duncan_McGregor

New computer not working.
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2006, 11:54:35 PM »

Good news: I ran MaxBlast and it recognized it as a 250GB drive, and partitioned it in half. I'm now installing WinXP and it didn't give me the black screen after installing. YAY! So maybe it might be working now.

It might well go without a hitch this time. If it does it comes of 'exercising' the disk surface by using the diagnostic testing diskette and doing the burn-in test.

The unattended OEM installation I used to have, did a burn-in test as part of the installation procedure.

Let us know. I might be wrong.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 12:03:15 AM by Duncan_McGregor »

Shana-chan

Re: New computer not working.
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2006, 10:09:58 AM »

It might well go without a hitch this time. If it does it comes of 'exercising' the disk surface by using the diagnostic testing diskette and doing the burn-in test.

The unattended OEM installation I used to have, did a burn-in test as part of the installation procedure.

Let us know. I might be wrong.

I think it is working now. :D I installed XP last night, and started installing all of his drivers and software, and everything was installing in record speed. Then I put in his work programs (subtitle workshop and adobe after effects) and the subtitle program was finally reading frames on the video files and wasn't mussing the timing up.

So I'm pretty sure it's fixed. Thanks for all the help. ^^

Duncan_McGregor

New computer not working.
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2006, 10:35:11 AM »
Good work on your part. Pleased to be of help.

tucker42

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2006, 11:10:26 AM »
And what do you think the problem REALLY was?

Shana-chan

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2006, 11:22:50 AM »
And what do you think the problem REALLY was?

Are you trying to be condescending? Or do you honestly want to know? o_O

tucker42

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2006, 11:26:33 AM »
No I want to know what you did differently to get it to work that you were not doing before you initially posted your question. There is no need to be so defensive.

Shana-chan

« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2006, 11:32:10 AM »
No I want to know what you did differently to get it to work that you were not doing before you initially posted your question. There is no need to be so defensive.

Okay. ^^ It just came out bad in text, sorry. XD The jumper setting is what fixed it. However, I had to reformat and reinstall the harddrive before it recognized the difference (using MaxBlast), and now WinXP will install on a 137 GB partition. I have to say that I think the diagnostics helped it a lot, though, because previously, it would only allow the 60GB partition to run anything (and even then it would die when the OS was updated).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 11:32:28 AM by Shana-chan »

Shana-chan

Re:
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2006, 11:33:50 AM »
I have no clue on that one.. I got it 2 weeks ago, let me see if I can find a date on the HDD.

(Yay for acrylic side panels) It says it was manufactured Dec. 27th, 2005.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 11:34:10 AM by Shana-chan »

Duncan_McGregor

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2006, 11:34:26 AM »
Does the OS see the rest of the 250 GB?

The burn in probably woke it up.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 11:35:56 AM by Duncan_McGregor »

Shana-chan

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2006, 11:35:49 AM »
Does the OS see the rest of the 250 GB?

Yep, it's happily recognizing the last 130~ GB as drive F:. ^^

Duncan_McGregor

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2006, 11:37:27 AM »
Terrific!

137 GB partiton. Is that what you wanted?

Shana-chan

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2006, 12:02:02 PM »
Terrific!

137 GB partiton. Is that what you wanted?

Yes. :D That way there's 1/2 for games, programs, and the OS, and another half for video, subtitles, and capturing.

Duncan_McGregor

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2006, 12:15:20 PM »
Perfect. I hope it keeps going!  :-X

tucker42

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2006, 12:18:32 PM »

Okay. ^^ It just came out bad in text, sorry. XD The jumper setting is what fixed it. However, I had to reformat and reinstall the harddrive before it recognized the difference (using MaxBlast), and now WinXP will install on a 137 GB partition. I have to say that I think the diagnostics helped it a lot, though, because previously, it would only allow the 60GB partition to run anything (and even then it would die when the OS was updated).

I think the jumper being set to Master and the drive diagnostics were suggested here, so I guess coming here did resolve the problem then, huh?