Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: The best CD-ROM ever is injured! Help!  (Read 4449 times)

mikebert4

The best CD-ROM ever is injured! Help!
« on: August 16, 2004, 12:49:53 PM »
My CD-ROM drive (artec 54x max) is the best, is's really fast, never jams and never even so much hints at scratching a CD. ;D

However... :o

Every time I put in a CD it comes up with:

(drive letter)is not acessable- Prameter incorrect

which is a slight bummer. :'(
I want My drive back!!!!
can anyone help me?

merlin_2

Re: The best CD-ROM ever is injured! Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2004, 03:32:10 PM »
what  software does this happen on?what operating system is used?

MalikTous

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 08:05:20 PM »
Open the PC case and make sure the power or data cables for your CDROM and HD are all still properly plugged in.

Try a commercial CD (like your Windows system CD) and a drive lens cleaner CD in the drive.

Try another CDROM borrowed from another PC to make sure you don't have a bum drive.

If you have a drive that's given up the ghost:

Best is Plextor.

Good is AOpen, Sony, NEC, Mitsubishi, Mitsumi, Chinon, LG, LiteOn, most drives based on these.

Avoid HP CDROMs, they have trouble with other than 74-minute CDs.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 08:05:58 PM by MalikTous »

mikebert4

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 07:58:54 AM »
thanks for the replys, but nought is happening.

???

I'm on Windows NT4 (i know, flowers can be sent to my home address)

I've checked the innards of my machine, even changed the IDE for a hyper IDE, like used  on HDDs

the drive is an  Elonex 54x CD-ROM, the firmware is good, and the drivers are good to my knowledge.

The only thing i can see wrong with the setup is when I attempt to reinstall the drivers, The setup program won't run because it cannot find MSCDEX in the autoexec main path, but the Drive works fine in DOS so the CD Extention is active. :-[

i'm currently testing the drive speed with a nice little app i got from Ahead sotware, and it's doing fine. so why can't it read CD's?

I'm also a firm supporter of fixing things, and don't intend to buy a new Drive, when I know this one works.

Just another quick thing, does anyone know how to get USB support on Windows NT? ;)

mikebert4

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 01:51:18 PM »
Smashing! haha, all I needed to do was get all my downloaded MP3s onto my I.pod. sorted, Cheers! ;D

(not that i enjoy stealing bandwidth for personal reasons on a work PC ;) )