Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CPU Temp/heatsink  (Read 2643 times)

Brandt

CPU Temp/heatsink
« on: March 04, 2006, 08:19:08 PM »
over the last month or two ive notice that my pc has been getting sort hot and randomly crashes which its never done so i decided to take off the heat sink and clean and re-apply some more thermal grease which has help but still runs a tad bit hot so finally today I went out and bought a aftermarket Thermaltake socket 939/754 heatsink..........after installing it twice (once because I think I might have put a little to much grease on so I took it back out and reapplied again) and im still getting higher temps from the cpu than with my stock heat sink...........where is the problem? the heatsink the cpu or the grease? thanks.........the grease I was using came with the heatsink...usually I have artic silver 5 but I cant find it I also have that cheap dynx stuff from best buy but my friends say thats dirt and not worth using............I dont want to fry my pc what should I do?....It was running about 50-52 C during 100%cpu ussage not its almost near 60 C when 100 % ussage...........(PC is find when idle or surfing the net or light work but gets hot when cpu is under a big load..........100% etc)

THanks

Brandt   CPU is AMD 64 3400 754 and a cheap SiS ecs motherboard

GX1_Man

Re: CPU Temp/heatsink
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 09:49:21 PM »
What about other cooling in the case as well?

A cheap ECS motherboard and that processor? Oh, well.

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 11:35:53 AM »
Perhaps you should switch back to your old heat sink and see whether the temps return to the previous levels.  

How many case fans do you have installed and where are they located?  Maybe need more fans.  

Is the PC sitting in an open area, not inside a computer desk compartment with a door hiding the computer from view?  Is anything obstructing air flow through the computer case vents?  What's the normal room temperature where the computer sits?

Brandt

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 08:43:37 PM »
I have 4 fans 2 120s one in back one in front and 2 80s one on top and one on side...........I just bought a new cpu and motherboard today (64 4400x2 and a nf4 sli gigabyte board) but I still want to know whats the deal.................Im thinking it might be the ecs board because it sucks ballz but a friend mentioned that maybe with the new heatsink it needed more voltage from the board to operate which had it hotter.........I dont know...........so...........if you have any Idea I dont think its lack of fans or area of case the as is in the open on the carpet (I have a full tower case HUGE case lot of room inside)

let me know
THanks

soybean

Genius
  • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 10:20:39 PM »
Well, you surely have enough fans.  However, do you have them blowing the right direction (outward or inward)?  The one on back should be an exhaust fan, blowing air out of the case.  Which direction are your other fans pointed, inward or outward?  Here's an AMD reference on cooling that may be helpful: AMD Athlon™ System Cooling Guidelines
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 10:21:15 PM by soybean »