Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error Loading Access Denied  (Read 35182 times)

mistybear

Error Loading Access Denied
« on: March 07, 2006, 02:04:53 AM »
I have a Packard Bell Force 4146, Windows 98, RAM 192
I just did a Smart Restore, and reinstalled all software except Norton Anti-Virus.
Everything was fine. I then D/L AGV, Turned off the computer unplugged the internet, Started the computer and it came up with
Error Loading      C/Windows/ICSNMPAOI.DLL Error  Access Denied.
We went into the cC Drive to see what it was, some sort of extension file, but while we were looking at it a virus warning popped up. So I moved it to a vault because I was unsure of deleting it whilst looking into the file problem.
Then another Virus warning popped up saying Trojan Virus, so that one we deleted. This is after AGV said there were no viruses.
I turned off the computer and restarted it but the Error Loading problem is still there.
What should I do.
All suggestions appreciated :-?

Duncan_McGregor

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 05:01:45 AM »
I have a Packard Bell Force 4146, Windows 98, RAM 192
I just did a Smart Restore, and reinstalled all software except Norton Anti-Virus.
Everything was fine. I then D/L AGV, Turned off the computer unplugged the internet, Started the computer and it came up with...

Error Loading      C:\Windows\ICSNMPAOI.DLL Error  Access Denied.

We went into the C:\ Drive to see what it was, some sort of extension file, but while we were looking at it a virus warning popped up. So I moved it to a vault because I was unsure of deleting it whilst looking into the file problem. Then another Virus warning popped up saying Trojan Virus, so that one we deleted. This is after AGV said there were no viruses.

I turned off the computer and restarted it but the Error Loading problem is still there.
What should I do?

All suggestions appreciated.

You should have had the AVG anti-virus installed before connecting to the internet.

Best to D/L AVG on the XP Computer and burn it, and any other programs you want for the PB, to a CDR so that you can re-do the PB SmartRestore and install AVG before you do your internet connection.

When I used Smart Restore on this Packard-Bell when it had ME, I elected to do a selective install, installing the Operating System and Smart Restore only, and then added the other programs I really needed later from the Master CDs. I had 'Power DVD' which caused a conflict, btw, and had to uninstall it.

If you use the (red?) Packard-Bell Technical Services Diskette to start with, choose to do a Selective Install and leave all Norton products out, as they are a pig to remove when they expire.

I wouldn't use any Norton products, as they take up too much in the way of system resources and really slow the system down. TuneUp Utilities is much better and a lot of people I know, now use TuneUp Utilities in preference to Norton Utilities, which is really obsolete now.

Again, if you use the (red?) Packard-Bell Technical Services Diskette to start with there is a simple means of getting to the technical services tools.

When you see the first install screen press the Esc key and you should see a DOS prompt. Type - ts - for Technical Services and press Enter. You'll then see a choice screen. One of the tools allows you to run check-sums on the Master CDs so you can see if they are okay.

If you have a Windows '98 StartUp Diskette (or bootdisk) you can partition the drive before using the PB restore system. (How big is the drive?)

mistybear

Re: Error Loading Access Denied
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 05:50:20 AM »
OK I'll start again >:(
It's been freezing up. When it first came up
 Error Loading C:/WindowsICSNMPAPI.DLL
Now everytime the computer starts up its the same thing except its now saying
system cannot find file
Doesn't matter I'll do as you suggest and do it again.
I don't have a red Floppy Disk only 3 black ones.
Fast Ethernet Adapter Driver Progrm
DOS DRIVER UPDATE DISK
MASTER CD BOOT DISKETTE
And of course
The Master CD 1 & 2
If you can give me a list of all the soft ware programs you would like me to D/L on the Medion to burn onto a Disc.
This computer was updated sometime ago.
RAM 64 & 128 and it has a DVD ROM instead of a CD ROM
I don't what difference that makes.
Thanks for helping me, you seem to be the only one that does, shame its a P.B.

Duncan_McGregor

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 06:12:27 AM »
OK I'll start again. :)
It's been freezing up.

When it first came up Error Loading C:/WindowsICSNMPAPI.DLL

Now everytime the computer starts up its the same thing except its now saying system cannot find file.

Doesn't matter I'll do as you suggest and do it again.

I don't have a red Floppy Disk only 3 black ones.

Fast Ethernet Adapter Driver Progrm
DOS DRIVER UPDATE DISK
MASTER CD BOOT DISKETTE

And of course the Master CD 1 & 2

If you can give me a list of all the software programs you would like me to D/L on the Medion to burn onto a Disc.

This computer was updated sometime ago.
RAM 64 & 128 and it has a DVD ROM instead of a CD ROM

I don't what difference that makes.
Thanks for helping me, you seem to be the only one that does, shame its a P.B.

Nothing wrong with PB.

OK, burn AVG, SpyBot SD, AdAware SE, SpywareBlaster, IERadicator, Open Office (unless you have an office program), TuneUp Utilities, Belarc Advisor, Everest (or Aida32) and Zone Alarm Free Home Edition Firewall plus anything else you think you might need to retain on CDR for use on both the PB and the Medion. (Ewido won't run on '98, btw.)

But first of all load the (ts) Technical Services from the MASTER CD BOOT DISKETTE and run the check-sums on the two Master CDs. (If they are in ANY way suspect make copies to good quality CDRs using, NERO on the Medion, checking 'verify data'.)

Do to so, cancel the install screen by pressing the Esc key and type ts at the prompt.

Remember. If the drive ever dies in the Packard-Bell you won't be able to use these Master CDs again. So what I do is to do a clean install from the Master CDs carefully selecting the programs you really need and then run scandisk and defrag and make a drive image to restore with.

If your drive does ever go then you can restore from the drive image to a new drive.

mistybear

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 06:41:02 AM »
OK Thanks,
                 Also I D/L these over the past few days, so tell me if they are causing problems. this on the P.B.
No Adware, AVG,  Everest,  Tune up Utilities,  CCleaner.
Maybe I shouldn't have D/L Tune up Utilities whilst I have Norton Utilities, I didn't even think about a conflict.
The No Adware was must everytime I open Internet Explorer, pop-ups lots of them we have found them in the files but it wouldn't let us delete them.
Actually the program won't let me delete anything until I register with them.    

Duncan_McGregor

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 06:58:27 AM »
OK Thanks,
                 Also I D/L these over the past few days, so tell me if they are causing problems. this on the P.B.
No Adware, AVG,  Everest,  Tune up Utilities,  CCleaner.
Maybe I shouldn't have D/L Tune up Utilities whilst I have Norton Utilities, I didn't even think about a conflict.
The No Adware was must everytime I open Internet Explorer, pop-ups lots of them we have found them in the files but it wouldn't let us delete them.
Actually the program won't let me delete anything until I register with them.    

I shouldn't bother with 'No Adware' use AdAware SE instead.

If you prefer to use Norton Utilities that is up to you, but I find that it is a resource hog and practically useless. (I forgot about CCLeaner but you can download it anytime.)

When you do a SmartRestore you'll have IE5 on the system. IERadicator will rip that out so that you can install IE6. If you have IE6 on a CD then so much the better.

You can download a FULL version of IE6 for Windows '98 on the Medion and if you need to do that I'll post the method.

IE6 for Windows '98 is quite different to IE6 for Windows XP.

Make sure that you have at least got the IE6 installer for Windows '98 available before removing IE5.

Backdated

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 02:32:02 PM »
No Adware is a rogue program that invites all sorts of nasties aboard. You will now need to fully and properly scan the system for malware before proceeding any further.
Firewall protection must be installed before accessing any network including the internet.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 02:32:53 PM by Backdated »

Duncan_McGregor

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 02:34:50 PM »
Thank you BD, I had heard that this might be a rogue program.

mistybear

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2006, 01:53:49 AM »
OK Thankyou to both of you, yes I know Duncan has now left.

Backdated or anybody else who may know?

I had installed AVG will that help protect me, as I'v been on the internet all day and I've just read this.
I do intend to do another Smart Restore.

Backdated

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2006, 08:04:37 AM »
Help is available if you calm down, keep to one thread, keep to one computer  and dilligently follow all instructions. Your last episode simply broke down into anarchy.
Before you attempt another reinstall, you need to have all the tools ready to hand. I'll compose a list of what you need a little later but I need to know what operating system you will be running.

Backdated

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2006, 11:07:16 AM »
Don't you have an appointment with your psychiatrist George?

Backdated

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 11:32:06 AM »
lmfao..... The kid is seriously insane.
It's about time that your ISP got to hear of your escapades on this, and I daresay, other boards.

mistybear

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2006, 05:16:41 PM »
Thanks Backdated,
                            I uninstalled No Adware, I'm left with the Wizard to set up No Adware. Michael has been teaching me different ways to delete this, problem is I but know when it's appropriate to do what when? I will wait for your instruction on that.
The Operating System is as above Windows 98.

The Error Loading that's been mentioned is an old problem, but it presenting it self differently since the Smart Restore. I had hoped by reinstalling Norton Utilities would correct the problem.
This computer also has another old problem when shutting down, it states that its not responding or is busy and you have a choice of Wait, End Task, I can't remeber the last one. I have tried the wait and try again but it never works so I just use End Task. I was also hoping that the Smart Restore would sort that out too.
If you need any more information let me know and I'll wait for further instructions. We'll stick to this computer.

Backdated

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2006, 05:54:19 PM »
Would it be possible for you to zip up and email ICSNMPAPI.DLL to me as an attachment? There is no record of that filename anywhere and I'd like to see what it actually is. It will have to be zipped otherwise the various email servers along the route will strip it out.
If you use MSN Messenger, perhaps you could transfer it over that or if you can use FTP, I run a server that you can upload it to.
Don't worry about fixing it yet as everything seems to run OK without it and it's a fairly simple matter to sort out once I know exactly what it is.

You can throw a little light on your shutdown problem by bringing up the Task Manager just before shutting down. To to that, hold down the CTRL and ALT keys and press the Delete key. A small window will appear that looks similar to the one in the attachment (Colour scheme excepted ;D).
You can select each running "task" and shut it down by hitting the "End Task" button.
Don't do that yet but if you can, list what tasks are running.

Backdated

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2006, 05:59:28 PM »
If and when you're ready to reinstall your system, I'll get that list of necessities ready for you. It won't be a lot. ;)

mistybear

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2006, 06:06:15 PM »
 :-?Thanks for getting back to me.
I'm sorry I have no idea how to zip up something. But my son knows how to send files via MSN Messenger. But he won't be home for 4 hours yet.
If you can take me through it step by step, I'll do it. Also I'm not sure how to find it. I have had a look with Everest if thats any help?
And with the shutting down problem, sometimes we have no choice than to,
Control, Alt, Delete as it will show us what's not responding but it still won't respond. It sometimes freezes a lot. Has been better since a got rid of No Adware.  

Backdated

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2006, 06:59:05 PM »
Do you have a firewall installed? If not, grab yourself a copy of [highlight]Kerio 215[/highlight] now. Install it, open it's options and elect not to update it. Leave it's settings as it is and be careful what you allow through it.
You'll usually know whether or not you should allow something as for instance, when you launch Internet Explorer, the firewall will ask if it should be allowed. Obviously, you want IE to have access so you tick the "Create a rule" box as well as allowing it.
If it's something that you're not sure of, disallow it or if something doesn't work after disallowing something, allow it but don't create a rule until you're sure it's safe.
It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is!

If you don't already have them, download, install and update [highlight]Ad-Aware[/highlight] and [highlight]Spybot S&D[/highlight]. Fix anything that they find.

mistybear

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2006, 07:33:30 PM »
OK I D/L AVG 71 Free Trial a few days ago not sure if it has a firewall, not sure how to check?

I went into Everest and in Software>Auto Start
I found this,

Winupdt     Registry/Common/Run
                 RUNDLL32.EXEC:/Windows/ICSNMPAPI.DLL,_mainRD

Do you think that this is what we are looking for?

Also I found something else that is a problem when trying to shut down, when it won't respond this is what it usually is. I found it right under the other one.

WNST        Registry/Common/User/Run
                 C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM/wnsapisu.exe

Does this help any?  

mistybear

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2006, 08:55:52 PM »
I went into AVG, no it dosen't have a Firewall so I will D/L Kerio 215 and the others.

I also looked in the Virus Vault, there were over a hundred viruses in there and quite a few trojans, but what I did notice was the file names on the viruses.

csnmpapi.dll
dsnmpapi.exe
gcsnmpapi.dll
hcsnmpapi.dll
ecsnmpapi.exe

and so on there were a few of each.

Does this have anything to do with the problems I have been having, just curious?  

mistybear

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2006, 01:25:07 AM »
OK Update,
                I installed Kerio 215, I had forgotten your instructions, and didn't do the options and I think I blocked my MSN. :-[

I also D/L SpyBot S&D and installed

AdAware SE also D/L and installed.
It found over a hundred items, I selected the main offenders for blocking or what ever it is it does. Whilst it was deleting these it did this:

Suffered a Fatal exception OE has occurred at 0177:BFF7A4A3
the current application will be terminated.
Press any key to terminate the current application
Press CTRL + ALT + DEL again to restart your computer You will lose any unsaved  so on.................
It restarted and as I was, actually I'm not sure what I was doing.
MSN automatically asks me to sign in, it was when those pages were opening that it froze. So I did what you suggested CTRL + ALT + DEL
and this is the list:
msn messenger
Explorer
ares
avgmc
loadgm
Rswc
msnappau
mgwdyi
Qttask
3dmoused
Systray
mwsoemom
msgsrv32               (not responding)
Accwiz

OK let me know what I've done wrong, nothing like positive thinking.  

Backdated

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2006, 04:51:39 AM »
You are heavily infected again. Are you going to restart from scratch or not?

mistybear

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2006, 05:30:10 AM »
Is that a question or a statement. :o

mistybear

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2006, 05:51:28 AM »
ok this Kerio Personal Firewall is becoming a guessing game.
Out going connection alert
Microsoft QMgr' from your computer wants to connect to 144.135.8.161,port 80
Which is Remote port 80-TCP
Details about application
c:/windows/loadqm.exe
At first I said deny because it came up in the middle of me looking at this site.
Then it kept coming back, after the first time I hit Permit and keep doing it, but its still on the screen. What do I do with it. :-?  

Backdated

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2006, 05:54:01 AM »
I thought I read somewhere that you were thinking of starting again from scratch.

Backdated

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2006, 05:58:57 AM »
Loadqm.exe is a component of MSN Messenger so you can safely allow it and make a rule for it. If something like this crops up again, [highlight]Google[/highlight] for it.

mistybear

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2006, 08:17:13 AM »
OK if we start from scratch, tell me what your definition is, do you mean total Restore, or a more selective Smart Restore.
I'm game, the malware alone on this surprised me.
I just had another one trying to get in c/windows/buddy/.exe       ceres
I looked it up, I didn't know you could look up these things.
I think I knew what it was by the coloured ring "Best Buy's" I think that had its own file.
OK tell me what needs doing and I'll start on it in the morning.

Backdated

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2006, 05:54:43 PM »
I've been a little busy today so haven't had much time to look in, much less do anything. Check your PMs.

mistybear

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2006, 12:42:41 AM »
Hi Backdated,
                    I've been wondering if I should burn some of the software, such as AVG, SpyBot SD, AdAware and anything else you suggest.
         I have already D/L on the other computer:
                 AVG 7.1 Trial version
                 Everest
                 Belarc
                 CCleaner
But I can't D/L a Firewall because the computer won't let me, or is it that it won't let me install it? The other computer has its own Firewall. So can I D/L it and burn it to the CD without installing it?
I'm happy, well not happy, but I'll try to do this if you think it would be easier, if  some of the software was on a CD to be installed, without having to D/L it on this computer. I'd rather have that done and ready before I commit this to a complete Restore. Thats if your willing to help me burn these things to CD and anything else you think I might need.

Just a thought let me know what you think.

Backdated

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2006, 05:31:41 AM »
I thought that you already had the Kerio firewall?

Please read the following carefully. Read it a couple of times if necessary and if there's anything that you don't understand, please ask.
It might be wise to print it out.

You will need to download the following and burn them to CD:
[highlight]Internet Explorer 6 SP1[/highlight]
[highlight]AVG Free Antivirus[/highlight]
[highlight]Kerio Personal Firewall 215[/highlight]
[highlight]Spybot S&D[/highlight]
[highlight]Ad-Aware[/highlight]
[highlight]A²Free anti trojan[/highlight]
[highlight]SpywareBlaster[/highlight]

I'm assuming that you're familiar with restoring your system from your restore disks so I'll let you get on with that with the simple proviso that you disconnect the lead to your modem so that the computer cannot connect to the internet. Also unplug any network cables etc so that the computer cannot connect to any other computer.
In other words, fully isolate your computer at this point.

Once the restore has completed successfully, take a look at the Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs applet and uninstall anything that you don't need.

Carry out the following in order:
Install Internet Explorer 6
Install Kerio
Install Spybot
Install Ad-Aware
Install AVG
Install A²Free
Install SpywareBlaster
Do not install anything else at this stage.
Set up your internet connection

Reconnect your modem lead, connect to Windows Update via the Start Menu icon and install critical updates only.
Update AVG, Spybot, Ad-Aware, A² Free and SpywareBlaster.
Do not update Kerio. Do not visit any other sites. Do not use email.
Once all are updated, disconnect from the internet and scan the computer with, in this order:
AVG
A²Free
Spybot
Ad-Aware
Fix anything that's found but make a note of what is found first.

Now install your usual programs such as office suite etc, scanning after each installation. Install your printer drivers etc. This is a bind but we need to know if any of the software that you currently have is infected in any way.

I've got a nice dose of 'flu, so if anyone spots anything glaringly wrong here, please feel free to amend.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 05:35:57 AM by Backdated »

mistybear

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2006, 05:45:17 AM »
Sorry for the confusion.

On this computer, the Packard Bell, is the Kerio 215 Firewall.
I thought I wouldn't be able to record anything from this computer

I can't install Kerio on to the Medion 8383 as it has it's own Firewall.
So how do I burn a copy of Kerio.

I can either burn to CD on the Medion as it has no floppy,
or can I use any of the software on the P.B. as in the Firewall, and such. :-?

Backdated

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2006, 05:50:27 AM »
Let's stick to one computer at a time shall we? You're confusing both of us now. ;D

You'll have to download and burn on the other computer but this caries a risk. If that computer is infected which, going by earlier posts, it almost certainly is, there's a risk of cross infection.
We'll just have to live with that risk for now though.

You simply burn the installers - ie, the files that you have downloaded.
Just download eveything on the list to a single folder and burn the contents of that folder to a CD.

You cannot just copy an already installed program from the program files folder or wherever and then recopy it to another computer. It just doesn't work like that.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 05:55:31 AM by Backdated »

mistybear

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2006, 05:54:07 AM »
Actually it's been checked and its fine.

But how do I solve the Firewall issue.

I've only mentioned the other one because that's what I'll be using.
And if something goes wrong here I'll definatly be using it.

Backdated

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2006, 05:56:35 AM »
Now I'm totally confused. What firewall issue?

mistybear

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2006, 06:05:32 AM »
Can I put onto Floppy disc the downloaded Anti-Virus Software, plus the Kerio Firewall,that I already have installed on the computer I am going to Restore.
And use that to reinstall after I have Restored it.

Or do I D/L all of the Software on to another computer and burn that to CD.
And use that to install on the computer I am Restoring.
But I can't D/L Kerio 215 to the other computer, because it has its own Firewall.

Backdated

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2006, 06:11:24 AM »
You certainly won't fit any of these prograns on to diskette!
Don't worry about downloading Kerio to the other computer - It will have no effect on it whatsoever! The files you are downloading are installers and they have to be run to have any effect. Without running them, they are just simple data in the same way that a picture or a text file is.

Just download eveything on the list to a single folder and burn the contents of that folder to a CD.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 06:13:02 AM by Backdated »

mistybear

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2006, 06:16:55 AM »
Thankyou for explaining it.
I will go and D/L, and I will need advice on how to burn it all onto CD.
I've only burned music CD's on Roxio and that has been uninstalled and Nero has been installed, but hasn't been tested.

mistybear

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2006, 06:25:44 AM »
Also how much can I fit onto one CD, could I add a couple of more things for later.
Such as Everest and Belarc and CCleaner?

Backdated

« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2006, 06:39:25 AM »
Forget Belarc and you certainly don't want Everest after their little deals!
You can fit up to 700Meg on a CD depending on which type it is.

But let's just get the computer to a useable state before worrying about anything else.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 06:40:53 AM by Backdated »

mistybear

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2006, 06:57:02 AM »
OK Thanks,
                  I can't D/L Internet Explorer as the computer I'm using to these D/L has it, and the one I'm trying to D/L keeps asking if I want to replace the one on file. Which I don't, and when I say no, it won't let me go any further.
And I don't want to use the Explorer on that computer as it has Pop-ups attached. It's only used by me, Michael uses Mozilla Firefox.
Should I replace the other one?
Why isn't anything easy? :-?

Backdated

« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2006, 07:25:13 AM »
IE does not have popups attached! Popups appear because the system is insecure.
Download IE6 from [highlight]here[/highlight].
Whether you use IE or not, it still needs to be updated.

mistybear

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2006, 07:39:52 AM »
I've D/L all of them, except Internet Explorer.

This IE, is it for the computer I'm using for the D/L.

mistybear

« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2006, 07:51:39 AM »
It's just that I don't want to start messing with that one as well.

We've been here before.

Is there a another way of getting Internet Explorer after the rest of the Software has been install on the computer that's being Restored (can we call it the P.B.)
After the Restore and installing the Software that I will burn on to CD, can I then go on to the internet with the Restored P.B. and get Internet Explorer?

Possibly difficult if I don't have a internet connection installed. :-? :-? :-?

Now I'm confused  

Backdated

« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2006, 08:07:47 AM »
The last link for Internet Explorer that I pointed to is a completely stand alone installer. It will have no effect whatsoever on the computer that you download it to.
You can wait and install it from Microsoft Update but it will be a long process. I would much prefer to see it in place before connecting to the internet as it addresses many security problems.

mistybear

« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2006, 08:15:33 AM »
Ok I've gone back and read everything again.
I don't know if it's this computer but half of one section wasn't there first time around. It's still freezing up and when it's not it's very jerky.

If it had of been there the first time around their wouldn't have been confusion before.
I hope you feel better, hope its not Bird Flu. ;D

It now makes sense " you can't burn an already installed program to CD it doesn't work that way".
I didn't read that earlier, it wasn't there.

OK just got your last post.
So all I have left to D/L is the IE6, No Internet Explorer

Just the IE6.

Also I have been having trouble with the D/L site.
I usually use Planet (?) the Australian one, anyway its been refusing me access so I've been using the other Australian one and it works (obviously)

Backdated

« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2006, 08:31:49 AM »
IE6 is Internet Explorer 6.
Where there are a set of links on a page like there are at MajorGeeks, these are what are known as "mirrors". They are simply alternative download locations so if one link doesn't work or is slow, you can try another.

Before reading these pages, hold down the CTRL key and hit the F5 key. This will force the browser to fetch a new page from the server rather than reading it from your cache.

mistybear

« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2006, 08:35:04 AM »
Also I'm not sure what D/L speed to use for it. :-?
I'll wait until you get back to me.

Backdated

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2006, 08:39:51 AM »
Never mind the download speed indicators - They're only a guide and have no bearing on anything.

mistybear

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2006, 08:56:19 AM »
OK that's happening, about 20mins

Everything except Kerio have been saved to the desk top it didn't give me a choice like Kerio did.
So I have Kerio in a Folder that's on the Desktop as well.

You'll have to talk me through the Nero burning.
I've seen Michael drag Programs to folders and to be burned on DVD.
But I have never used Nero and I don't even know if it works.
So I hope you don't mind giving me a list of steps to take.

Also how do I find out which ones on the Desk top are the ones that haven't been open.
I forgot that Michael has some of these prgrams already and I'm not sure which ones are which. :-?
It's a shame I don't think of these things before hand. :-[

Backdated

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2006, 09:06:42 AM »
As I said earlier, you sould have made a single folder and downloaded everything to that. This really is just common sense!

mistybear

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2006, 09:20:02 AM »
After the Kerio one D/L I didn't have a choice. I wasn't asked where I wanted them.
They all went to the Desk top.

I'm sorry if it makes it more difficult, but this isn't common sense for me, it's all very new.
I'm trying the best I can. :-[ :(

Backdated

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2006, 11:54:15 AM »
When you click on a download, a "requester" pops up asking you whether you want to Save, Run or Cancel as in the first illustration below.
After hitting Save, a second requester pops up giving you the choice of where to save to as in the second illustration. You can choose any location that you wish by using the dropdown box at the top or the My Computer icon at the side.

mistybear

« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2006, 05:45:47 PM »
OK
What do I do now :-?

Backdated

« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2006, 05:50:06 PM »
Well, it's 00:50 here and I'm knackered and about to hit my bed so have a read of what's gone before and I'll see you tomorrow.
Where have you got to so far?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 05:54:35 PM by Backdated »

mistybear

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2006, 05:52:09 PM »
I've just gotten out of bed, it was 4.30am when I left earlier.

mistybear

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2006, 09:23:38 PM »
OK Update,
                 All Software that was D/L has been burned onto CD.

Started Restore.

If you don't hear from me later on that means it didn't work or I did something wrong.
The other computer won't be here for me to use.
Won't have it back till tomorrow.

tucker42

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2006, 04:09:18 PM »
I just don't think this is going to work out well at all. Sorry.

mistybear

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2006, 06:58:38 PM »
Everything went well except the IE6.
When I tried to install it from the CD, It said it was the set up and the next step was to acually D/L the IE6.
So the question is, do I try to D/L the IE6 again on to the other computer and burn another CD and try installing that to the P.B.

Backdated

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2006, 06:31:13 AM »
Just use the Windows Update site. It will install it for you.
So, no viruses or errors or anything?

mistybear

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2006, 06:41:08 AM »
I haven't checked as the AVG won't install until IE6 is installed.
We have been D/L another copy of IE6 we have all the files in a folder, but I am unsure in what order to Drag and Drop them into Nero for burning. Or if I should take the whole folder over to it?

Backdated

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2006, 06:52:10 AM »
Where did this other copy that you have downloaded come from? If it's not from an official or trusted source, do not use it!

The [highlight]last link[/highlight] that I gave you for IE6 should have been a full installer with a size of ~76Meg. If it isn't, please let me know.

For those who would like the full IE6 SP1 installation, read in [highlight]here[/highlight].
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 06:53:49 AM by Backdated »

mistybear

« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2006, 07:17:03 AM »
The IE that I D/L from your post, when I tried to install it on the P.B. I couldn't get past the set up wizard it wanted to D/L from the internet.
The one I have now in a folder ready to burn is from the Microsoft Download Centre.
It has 38 files, total MB not sure.
I can't check for any viruses as the other software won't install until the IE6 is.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 07:28:46 AM by mistybear »

Backdated

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2006, 07:24:31 AM »
I'll look into that. As long as your sources are trusted, you'll be OK although it will probably still want to connect to install.

If your firewall is fully operational, you can go to the Windows Update site and install IE6 from there. Once fully installed, disconnect from the internet and install your AV.

If you don't want to do that, I have a fully working IE6 installation that you can download directly from me.

mistybear

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2006, 07:36:21 AM »
Can I ask why I need to install IE6 before the others if there already is an internet explorer in the software that reinstalled after the Restore. Why can't I use that and install all the Anti Virus  and Firewall software from the CD and then go on the internet and update the anti virus  and then windows and then internet explorer?

Backdated

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2006, 08:40:00 AM »
As I said a couple of posts ago, you can as long as your firewall is functioning correctly.
You said earlier "I haven't checked as the AVG won't install until IE6 is installed" so I assumed that the version of AVG that you have is incompatible with anything less than IE6.

Ensure that your firewall is opertional, go to Windows Update via the Start Menu icon, install IE6 from the available updates, disconnect, install your anti virus and then reconnect to Windows Update and install the other critcal updates.
You'll probably need to reboot a few times.
Then update your anti virus, Spybot and Ad-Aware etc. Disconnect and scan your system.

Do not visit any other sites, read email or anything else at this stage.

Once all is proved clean, you're good to go.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 08:40:55 AM by Backdated »

mistybear

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2006, 09:44:10 AM »
I can't get connected to the internet.
I've tried through windows update I've tried it through the internet explorer thats already there.
And I did manage to burn the files to CD and install them, and I tried it through there. There  is also a connect to the internet on the Desktop, they all want the same thing. It's the Internet connection wizard asking me about about what type of account, existing, new and so on.
and when I get past that it's more questions that I don't know the answer's too, Again I have never had to connect to the internet or witnessed it so I don't understand what's required.
 It's 3.20am.
I don't know how to get past all of that.  
If you know what I need to do please let me know.

I did install all the software including the AVG, and at present it is running a scan, and so far so good.
It's now 3.45 and I need to go to bed.

Backdated

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2006, 09:52:42 AM »
Don,t use the Windows connection wizards - It will probably only confuse things further!
As I understand it, you have a shared 1 port ethernet/1 port USB modem. It entirely depends upon which connection you use. How did you set up your connection originally?

mistybear

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2006, 06:25:02 PM »
I am using the USB Port on the Modem, the Ethernet Port goes to the other computer that I'm using now.
I will get the account details, a friend of mine handles that part.

Backdated

« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2006, 01:12:31 PM »
I can't be of much help here but in general, you'll need to install the USB portion of the setup, enter your details and go!

mistybear

« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2006, 06:29:55 PM »
We rang our provider and tried for over an hour. Tried reinstalling from CD the Modem.The provider said he would email us the updated for the driver so it would work. Still haven't recieved anything.  

Backdated

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2006, 06:47:22 PM »
USB usually demands that the driver is installed before you plug in the hardware. Find the name of the modem, you've already posted it once, go to the manufacturers support site and download them yourself.

mistybear

« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2006, 08:00:26 PM »
OK I could do that as I have found the site and the Download, but if I'm Downloading this to another computer how does this help me on the P.B. :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

mistybear

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2006, 04:35:33 AM »
I've got the internet back, AVG automatically updated itself.
I went to the Microsoft site and updated Windows 98'  (critical updates only), then turned off the computer.
So what now?

Backdated

« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2006, 05:38:11 AM »
Fully scan the system with AVG, Spybot and Ad-Aware (After updating them) and update SpywareBlaster.
Download [highlight]this file[/highlight], save it to C:\Windows\ and rename it to hosts (Note that there's no .xxx extension).

If you're all clear, you're good to go.

<Edited to place highlight>
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 06:40:27 PM by Backdated »

mistybear

« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2006, 06:34:23 PM »
Everything has been done, except the last D/L file. I don't understand what I'm suppose to be D/L from this? :-?  

Backdated

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2006, 06:52:04 PM »
Right click on [highlight]this link[/highlight] and select "Save As" from the context menu. Navigate to C:\Windows for the save location. In the "Save As Type" dropdown box, select "All Files". Now remove the .txt extension and OK it:

mistybear

« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2006, 07:09:17 PM »
I don't understand the last part. "now remove the .txt extension and OK it"

Backdated

« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2006, 07:15:50 PM »
Look at the picture I upped and ensure that everything is set just like it. (Except the colour scheme ;D).
Where it says just hosts in my picture, you should have hosts.txt. Just delete the .txt bit.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 07:17:59 PM by Backdated »

mistybear

« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2006, 07:26:25 PM »
I don't have that open anymore, and the D/L has happened and that's all I have open.
Save

OK problem; When I was typing what the D/L said I clicked back to this and now the D/L has gone and I don't how to find it.

Backdated

« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2006, 07:32:52 PM »
Just right click the link again. You've already done all the hard work and this bit is simplicity itself.

mistybear

« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2006, 07:40:22 PM »
It was highlighted hosts. I clicked save and it came up;
Save as c:/windows hoststxt. already exists
Do you want to replace it
Yes    No

Backdated

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2006, 07:57:09 PM »
It's not that important so let's forget it.

Now don't take this the wrong way but you could really do with learning some basic computer skills. Don't worry, you're far from alone in this.
Is there a local community centre or library where classes are run perhaps?
If you can find a suitable course you certainly won't regret it. It will really enhance your computing experience and you'll get far more enjoyment from your computer.

mistybear

« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2006, 07:59:58 PM »
Thanks for your help.
At least the computer is running again and I have learn a few things along the way.

mistybear

« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2006, 12:00:55 AM »
I'm still having a problem with this computer and the internet.
I posted on another forum that specializes in the the other computer but the problem is this computer.

Packard Bell Force 4146: Windows 98', IE6
Connected to the internet via a D-Link ADSL Modem USB Port, Other computer Medion 8383XL Windows XP connect to the same Modem via the Ethernet Port.

Both computers worked independently of each other on the internet and off.
But after the Restore of the P.B. had problems working independently of each other. One required the other to be on, to access the internet. After following steps 1 to 6 on Article 181599 How to Remove and Reinstall Dial-Up Networking and TCP/IP Files. I can now access the internet without the other computer, but it won't fully boot up without the Modem being connected.
It gets as far as the Desktop Background and then comes up with:
Windows
A fatal Error OE  0028: 00000009
The current application will be terminated
Press any key to Terminate the current application
Press CTRL ALT DEL to restart computer.

And thats as far as it will let me go until the Modem is turned on.
Why does it need the Modem to boot up fully?  :-?

Backdated

« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2006, 03:25:01 AM »
On a hardware level this error is related to faulty RAM or graphics card. On a software level it's generally an indication of out of date or erroneously installed drivers.

When you mentioned your modem before, I'm pretty sure you said it was something other than a D-Link.

mistybear

« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2006, 03:29:37 AM »

The Modem we are using is a D-Link DSL-302.

KJD

« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2006, 05:05:29 AM »
Wow, I'm exhausted just reading this. This would make a good episode for an IT soap opera.  :)

mistybear

« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2006, 11:11:21 PM »
After putting in the effort to read it, you could at least offer a solution, rather than sarcasm.

KJD

« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2006, 03:48:13 AM »
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be sarcastic - I'm not very good with computers myself. I was reading it to learn, so believe me you don't want me offering any suggestions. :)

mistybear

« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2006, 03:53:04 AM »
If you have learnt something from it let me know, I'm still scratching my head.
And I'm sure you know a lot more than me.

Backdated

« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2006, 04:48:00 PM »
As I told you before Misty, that "modem" is in fact, a fully fledged modem/router.
All this running around between computers with CDRs and removable drives was a complete waste of time. You could have set up a basic network between the 2 computers and transferred all the files you ever needed over that network without even moving from your computer.

Having said that, all the reports seem to suggest that your modem/router is possibly the worst piece of hardware available anywhere in the Southern hemisphere. It seems it's so bad that D-Link no longer acknowledge the fact that it ever existed.
You'll need to find out more about the protocols etc used by your ISP but an outfit called TPG Internet has an easy to follow but detailed enough guide to setting up the 302 for it's access.
Your settings should be very similar - It may well be that the only difference will be in user/pass combination.

mistybear

« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2006, 06:56:08 PM »
We do use TPG, so if you could let me know the link I'll have a look.
Shame you didn't let me know earlier.

Backdated

« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2006, 03:05:59 AM »
It's a shame I didn't let you know???? That's a bit rich isn't it?
If I had a problem connecting, the first place I'd look would be my ISPs support section!
Reference
FAQs
XP setup

mistybear

« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2006, 05:36:47 AM »
TPG was the first place I contacted, several times in fact and the Microsoft Site, as I posted earlier.
I came here for help, I have been open and honest as to my lack of knowledge.
I have followed your instructions as best I could, admitted my stuff ups. And even after each humiliation I came back for more instructions.
I may not have the best or most expensive, but at least it was working well before the Restore.
I came here for advice not to be insulted.

GX1_Man

« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2006, 01:59:33 PM »
Ummmm, I missed that. When were you insulted?