Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: will the mobo start without ram?  (Read 2392 times)

dogawar

will the mobo start without ram?
« on: March 12, 2006, 06:22:49 PM »
I am in the process of building a gamer I have a intel d915pbl mobo along with a 775LGA P4 3.0  800 FSB
IT REQUIRES DDR2  PCIexpress x850xt sapharire, Thermal take typhoon cooler.thermal take 550watt psu, dvdrw/dvd drives and a 250gb sata hdd. everything arrived on friday except for the HDD and the ram, I figured i could run a power test just to check things out I figured if I turned it on with out ram that I would get beeps, but my fans I thought would run to let me know that all wasd well.
well as soon as i turned it on the board lit up and the cpu fan nudged and the lite in thefront of the case turned on but that is as far as it got the switch wouldnt turn it off i had to unplug the psu and the cpu fan never started to run, I have tripled check my connections, even unistalled mobo to bench test it to maKE SURE IT WASNT A GROUND ISSUE. my question is the problem be that there is no ram in the motherboard? or should everthing still turn on with out ram? I have power test mobos before with out all the componets installed, and I think I have tested with out ram, could the pc be just fine after i install the ram?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 04:54:56 AM by dogawar »

GX1_Man

Re: will the mobo start without ram?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 06:27:56 PM »
You must have at least one stick of RAM to test.  ::)

dogawar

Re: will the mobo start without ram?
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 06:44:45 PM »
ahhh thx I'll sleep tonite  btw i did google first but couldnt find it so I tried the next best thing CH  thx:)