Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win Explorer  (Read 5140 times)

LSC9901

Win Explorer
« on: August 21, 2004, 12:38:41 PM »
I still seem to have the KERNAL32.dll problem and here is more info. The message generally occurs when I exit IE. I have been looking at some mesages posted here and note that there are other browsers than can be used, such as FOXFIRE. If I should install it and am happy with it can I somehow delete Internet Explorer? I do have netscape on the computer but generally use it as an E-mail ramp. I've looked in the add/remove folder but do not see it there. More than anything I would like to find the cause of my problem. When I do exit IE it sometimes seems to lock up. When I use the Ctrl/Alt/delete buttons it will generally end the task but it shuts down most of the system drivers. I then must re-start to get the drivers up and running again. I'm fairly confident that I had this problem once before and resolved it but cannot remember the fix. HELP !!!!!

I am running Win ME and IE 5.5. I've tried to upgrade newer versions of IE and the download happens OK but when I try to setup I get an error message that I cannot remember right now. I know that doesn't help but thats where I'm at right now.

merlin_2

Re: Win Explorer
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 01:31:51 PM »
scan for trojans>http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/.......did ie6 install....what anti-virus program is it norton?....
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 01:32:32 PM by merlin_2 »

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 01:34:12 PM »
You can uninstall Internet Explorer from the software list. However, I recommend you keep it installed because not all websites are made for Firefox. However, the chances of running into such a website are quite slim and Firefox's superiority makes up for that.

Rather than uninstalling Internet Explorer, I suggest you set Mozilla Firefox as your default browser. It will ask if you want to do so when you launch Firefox.

LSC9901

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 07:56:23 PM »
Yes I do have Norton AV on the system. Came with the computer. Haven't heard much good about it.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 08:02:36 PM »
     LSC9901........If you have Norton 2004 ....it's a very good program .....a bit of a resource hog ,but if you set it up properly and make sure you have it configued to get the auto updates it will not let you down.
    *****Check the subscription lenght ....it may only be good for 90 days******

cheers dl65  ???
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

LSC9901

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 08:18:17 PM »
    I just ran Stinger and found a w32Bagle virus. It also deleted it. Dunno if that will help but it surely will not hurt to be rid of it.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 12:44:58 PM »
    which goes to show that norton should have found it...?
    « Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 12:45:31 PM by merlin_2 »