Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook Express vanished  (Read 4328 times)

LinM

Outlook Express vanished
« on: August 21, 2004, 05:47:00 PM »
Outlook Express has completely vanished from my computer - running Windows XP Home Edition.  When I type into the Run window: MSIMN, it says Windows can't find it.  (My internet provider suggested I try to find it that way.)  

Internet Explorer itself poses no problems.  I also have kept up with all the Windows updates.

Since OE is part of IE, I thought I'd reinstall IE without uninstalling it, as I assumed it would just overwrite it and correct the wrongs.  At the Microsoft download website I think I successfully downloaded the IE6setup (it appeared on my desktop), but when I installed it and re-booted, Outlook Express was still missing.  

Also, this may not be related at all, but I am not able to access any of my help screens and when I logon to my account the following error message appears:  File "MDATA.DAT" not found.  This doesn't seem to prohibit any software I'm using, but it appeared at the same time Outlook Express vanished.  

Please keep in mind, I am a novice at this.  I tried looking at the MS support knowledge based articles, but they may as well have been in another language.  Thank you for any suggestions/solutions you offer.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Outlook Express vanished
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 06:20:20 PM »
    LinM....Thats odd.....did you look in C: programs ....there should be a folder called outlook express.......where you removing anything or adding anything when this occurred.  The error your getting re.....MDATA.DAT refers to either a missing mouse driver or an old mouse driver.....Have you changed your mouse ?
    If you really can't find it ....you can download it here....
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/194179.html

After you download it be sure and go to MS update site and get any updates for it.

let us know

dl65  ???
    « Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 06:24:19 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Raptor

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 04:54:51 AM »
    I believe you can also install Outlook by adding extra Windows components by using the Software menu.

LinM

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 09:07:31 AM »
    dl65,
    Thank you for your suggestion.  I downloaded OE from the website you provided, however the installation didn't take place because an error message came up that this machine already had a newer version of IE.  (or was I supposed to uninstall IE first?)
    Also, yes I had uninstalled games that my kids no longer played, but OE worked fine after that for a day or so.  (really wished I had created restore points before and after uninstalling so many games)

Thanks!