Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Me (worst OS problem ever)  (Read 7664 times)

sirchick

Windows Me (worst OS problem ever)
« on: March 26, 2006, 03:11:31 PM »
Ok we all know Windows Me is utter dyer!

But i have alot of problems with it (surprised?) lol!!

Firstly.. i reformatted my pc cos of a problem and its been working fine etc etc except sound has totally decided not to work but no one helped me on that one but it aint important!

Now more update to date news:
Today i turned pc on and when it got to scan disk the resolution was sum terrible setting and the colours was so bad it was all pixelated n all sorts. And last time i used the pc it was perfectly fine . It just happened randomly .Also the mouse wldnt display for me to correct the problem. So i re-format again .. which i didn
about hour or 2 ago and here i am now. with new problems!!

New problems are.. basically when i run sum programs i get a error and it crashes and i cant update media player cos that crashes when i update and loads of other things are crashing with no explanation of why !! Even though i just reformatted the pc is still buggered up :| which shouldnt be happening? Whats causing all these problems ??? Any one else get annoying problems like this on Me if any of you dare used it. And how do i come about fixing these crashes!

Im assuming my the core of the computer is just totally knackered? And there fore non fixable ?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 03:13:48 PM by sirchick »

GX1_Man

Re: Windows Me (worst OS problem ever)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 03:50:08 PM »
Well we have heard the problems, but we know absolutely nothing about the computer. What are the components, make/model, etc.? What happened prior to all of this that required the reformatting.

Have you checked your RAM? Free download at www.memtest86.com

Have you checked your hard drive? Free download at the manufacturer's web site.

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1122425778

What kind of power supply is in there? How old is the machine? Are there any other problems? Any issues in Device Manager?

sirchick

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 04:40:15 PM »
PC is year 2000 so 6 years old. Umm:

"What kind of power supply is in there? "

How do i check?

"Any issues in Device Manager?"

In what respect?

"What are the components, make/model, etc.? "

How do i check ?

"What happened prior to all of this that required the reformatting."

Basically when i turned the pc on like any other normal day.. the screen was all messed up colours like extreme basic colours. Everything was larger like the resolution had changed to the worst one possible. Everything still worked loaded up etc Except no mouse was showing so i was like .. balls to this.. reformat!

This happened a week ago also which caused the initial reformat. And now today it happened again so i reformat. The thing is the day before pc was smooth and running fine. I turned the pc off correctly aswell. But then i turn it on and its all messed up. No virus has deleted anything as i hadnt got internet sorted the first time when it happened until i just reformatted again now and set internet up. So virus is out of question. I hadnt installed alot of data on hard drive except 1 program which hasnt caused a problem this time.

My sound fails to let me change the settings. Um what else is there to say umm apart from that there is no link to why when i turn the pc is its all messed up! Its wierd. Admittedly the pc is old but if i had reformatted it shouldnt of bals up so fast and in the same way as before unless its an O.S problem ? Cos most problems are due to internet downloading but i didnt get internet set up at the time.

And sorry for not being able to answer your questions im not very computer literate with stuff like this.

Thanks for any help you can provide! :)

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 04:51:22 PM »
I'm  not  convinced it's not a hardware problem at this point. So you need to do your homework and do the two things I already suggested as well as download Everest and see what is in your computer.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 04:52:10 PM by GX1_Man »

sirchick

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 04:56:52 PM »
Oki Doki will let you know :)

sirchick

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 05:04:02 PM »
Motherboard:  
   CPU Type   Intel Pentium 4, 1285 MHz (13 x 99)  
   Motherboard Name   NEC MS-6339  
   Motherboard Chipset   Intel Tehama i850(E)  
   System Memory   128 MB (PC800 RDRAM)  
   BIOS Type   Phoenix (06/08/01)  
   Communication Port   Communications Port (COM1)  
   Communication Port   Printer Port (LPT1)  

Storage:  
   IDE Controller   Intel(r) 82801BA Ultra ATA Controller  
   IDE Controller   Primary Ultra ATA controller  
   IDE Controller   Secondary Ultra ATA controller  
   Floppy Drive   GENERIC NEC FLOPPY DISK  
   Disk Drive   ST320410 A (20 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/100)  
   Disk Drive   Apple iPod  
   Optical Drive   SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-308B (DVD:8x, CD:8x/4x/32x DVD-ROM/CD-RW)  
   SMART Hard Disks Status   OK  

Is this the info i need to be looking at ?

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 05:22:05 PM »
OK, now address item #1 and 2 from my first post.  ;)

was the iPod physically removed prior to reinstalling? Keep going with your report and cover graphics card also. you  can open the case and look  at the power supply to see the make and wattage.

Backdated

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 06:21:44 PM »
Do not connect to the internet or any other network without a firewall and anti virus installed first.
When you do connect, the first thing to do is update anti virus, firewall, anti malware and Windows. Do nothing else until all this has been completed.

sirchick

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 04:21:47 AM »
Its got nothing to do with the internet because I didnt have the internet when this problem first appeared i already said that.

Graphic Cards:

Display:  
   Video Adapter   NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400  
   3D Accelerator   nVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400  
   Monitor   Default Monitor (11226269)  
   Monitor   NEC A727 Packard Bell [17" CRT] (11226269)

sirchick

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 04:22:29 AM »
IPOD was just plugged in when i done a scan of pc. The ipod is fine no problems with that. I should of disconnected it but i forgot it was still plugged in!

Robbie

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 05:23:35 AM »
The original problem sounds a lot like drivers to me.  However, since you, like many others jump to the conclusion that formatting is best, your problem has grown larger.

How do you reformat?  Meaning, do you format c: then fresh install an operating system?  Do you use a recovery disc?  Are you using ME's recovery tool?  Based on your answer here, would tell us if it's 100% a post-format problem, or if old problem files are still lingering in non-affected areas from recovery operations.

I'd be willing to bet that if you installed all necessary drivers and/OR connected the PC to the internet and went through Windows Update; you'd fix a majority of your problems including driver issues.  Including but not limited to, your graphics and mouse.  If your mouse isn't working to do this, you can keyboard through it or get a generic PS/2 mouse that basic drivers would support until you get the drivers for your current mouse.

Good Luck,
Robbie

Backdated

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 10:57:48 AM »
Today i turned pc on and when it got to scan disk......

If it runs Scandisk regularly at boot then it's likely that the hard drive is dying. This would cause all of the problems that you describe.

My reference to pre preparation for connecting to a network is general but good.