Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't get rid of Hantaner virus  (Read 4880 times)

theanarch

Can't get rid of Hantaner virus
« on: August 24, 2004, 11:55:47 AM »
Hi,

I have been having a lot of problems lately, with my computer slowing down considerably. The major nuisance is that I keep getting alerts from Norton and Ewido telling me that a trojan was found in x or y file, which is always in my windows temp folder. I click okay for it to clean it, but this just happens over and over, generally with different files. Also, cleaned files come back. Ewido tells me I have Worm.Hantaner.A and Norton tells me I have W32.HLLP.Handy, which I believe are the same files.  Sometimes it appears as Trojan.Bispy.

I realized that the virus has been creating all these temp files, usually in the windows temp folder and about 40MB in size, and thus eating up all my hard drive space. My computer would crash when I tried to delete these files, but I was able to get rid of them using a program called Empty Temp Folders.  However, the virus is still in here somewhere because these temp files come back.

Also, for a while, I got these alerts linking the trojan to webrebates, a spyware program that infiltrated my system. I think I got rid of webrebates, but now the trojan is showing up as being in the temp files.

I ran a Norton scan, after running liveupdate, and it found nothing. I downloaded a bunch of anti-spyware programs, and I now have SpeedyUpMyPC, Ewido, SpyGuard, SpyBlaster, TrojanHunter, Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Registry Medic to try to keep my computer safe. I also use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer now. I also ran an online virus scan from Trend Micro, and I ran The Cleaner 4.1.  All the scans tell me that I don't have any spyware, and they don't find any viruses either.  But I keep getting the alerts.  

I'm really not sure what to do.  Any help would be great.

Raptor

Re: Can't get rid of Hantaner virus
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 01:35:30 PM »
This link may be of use:

W32.HLLP.Handy
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 01:36:13 PM by Raptor »