Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Why should I use Linux?  (Read 22531 times)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    Re: Why should I use Linux?
    « Reply #30 on: April 01, 2006, 11:49:32 PM »
    Alright. I'm downloading, but I may need to go to bed before it's done. :)

What's VectorLinux like, anyway?
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2006, 01:46:30 AM »
      I just had a nice chat with the guys at the Kubuntu forums. They suggested I d/l the 64-bit Kubuntu. I am doing that as well as d/ling VectorLinux. I was going to sleep while this was downloading (It takes a while to download 1 GB) but I can't sleep with the blue light coming from my box. So I'm awake at 12:44 AM. Wait... it's DST, right? So it's 1:44. @!@#!

I'm temporarily stopping the download of VectorLinux so I can try this out.

/me is very tired.
      /me will be very short-tempered, esp. if this doesn't work...

[edit]My brain is too slow. I realized I still have to write the thing. I'm finishing up my download of this other Linux, but I'm hoping for Kubuntu for no other reason than that's what was reccommended... or maybe I feel good vibes from Kubuntu, or... zzzzz
      « Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 01:50:25 AM by Timothy_Bennett »

GX1_Man

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2006, 06:33:32 AM »
      Just remember, if the issue is downloading and burning - just PM me an address and I will drop some CD's in the mail.

If the issue is installation, we will all be right here! ;)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2006, 08:03:39 AM »
        The AMD install didn't work. I'm going to try VectorLinux. But I accidentally downloaded some other weird thing (don't ask) so it'll take me a bit to get it.

Has this happened before? The whole lock-up at boot thing? Just curious.

GX1_Man, you have no idea how tempted I am to take you up on your offer. But I'd like to get this to work - that way, you don't need to pay an outrageous postage fee (Not sure what that fee is in Oklahoma, but if it's as high as Oregon or higher it's outrageous).

You will not believe this. What should I find in my room but a copy of Nero OEM Suite! It came with my PC, apparently, but never installed it because I never knew what it was. Maybe it was a good thing my bed collapsed after all; otherwise I might never have found it.

Stupid demo...
        « Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 08:16:57 AM by Timothy_Bennett »

GX1_Man

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2006, 08:15:35 AM »
        Disks plus postage would be less than $4. You're worth that to me Dilbert!  ;)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2006, 08:18:10 AM »
          I'm flattered. [smiley=shocked.gif]

Hey, I figured out my Nero issue! (Kind of, anyway) For some reason, I have Nero Express - but not Nero! Don't ask me how this is possible - I don't know. :-X
          « Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 08:56:14 AM by Timothy_Bennett »

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2006, 01:35:17 PM »
            OK, I finally got a brain in my head. I'm doing now what I would do with a hardware issue - troubleshooting. I've downloaded the full version of VectorLinux, but I won't install it. If the install begins to succeed, I obviously have a faulty download of Kubuntu. However, if I get a similar or identical problem, I'll know that I am at fault. In that case - I'd have to rely on GX1_Man's more-than-merely-kind offer.

I have a hypothetical question about my hard drive and Linux/Windows. Let's say something goes terribly wrong and Windows crashes, forcing me to format that drive to access it. (Considering Windows' history, this isn't too far-fetched, though it's never happened to me) Even though Linux cannot read the files and open them, would it be possible for me to use Linux to copy the needed files/programs onto a special folder in the D: drive, format C:, and move the files back without damaging data?

[edit]Alright, now I know the culprit. It's me. I can't figure out how this is, but VectorLinux locked up too. Shouldn't it at least do something a few seconds after I hit the enter key? I'm going to try one more thing: I'm going to make two Kubuntu discs, and one of them will be extracted. That's the only thing I can think of now. If neither works, GX1_Man can expect a PM.[/edit]

/me has PMed GX1_Man
            « Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 02:43:15 PM by Timothy_Bennett »

GX1_Man

« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2006, 04:51:36 PM »
            I have a hypothetical question about my hard drive and Linux/Windows. Let's say something goes terribly wrong and Windows crashes, forcing me to format that drive to access it. (Considering Windows' history, this isn't too far-fetched, though it's never happened to me) Even though Linux cannot read the files and open them, would it be possible for me to use Linux to copy the needed files/programs onto a special folder in the D: drive, format C:, and move the files back without damaging data?

Yes, you can read NTFS files, but not write them to an NTFS drive. You could backup to a CDROM, across a network, to a thumb drive, etc. with a Live CD. I do recommend someone to back up ALL important files before attempting to load ANY new operating system, so take with a grain of salt. If you have any imaging software, use it! Otherwise, kust back up those important data files, IE favorites, address book, etc.

By the way, Nero Express is a subset of Nero. That is to say, if you have Nero you have them both, but if you just have Nero Express, then that's all you have. However Nero Expres does a great job burning ISO's as well. Were you getting messages that your file had burned correctly when Nero Express reported it was done?

« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 04:53:11 PM by GX1_Man »

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
              • Me
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #38 on: April 03, 2006, 03:44:15 AM »
            Dilbert, from your references to Konqueror, can I take it that you have managed to install Kubuntu?

If so, bring up the package manager.  (Main 'start' menu under System, I think.)  In the package manager, find the option to edit the sources.  Uncomment everything except the multiverse sources.  Then use the update button.

Once that is done, find the Synaptic package manager (do a search).  You'll thank me for this.  Install it.  Once it's installed, close that package manager and open up Synaptic instead (same location in the main menu).

You may then spend hours and hours and hours choosing which of the gazillion programs you want to install.  :)

When you're done, get yourself to a shell prompt ('command prompt') and type:

Code: [Select]
            apt-get dist-upgrade

apt-get upgrade

You'll then have all the security patches installed and you're done.

Warning: it took me many days to fully install Kubuntu and all the extra bits and bobs for a system for a friend a couple of weeks ago.
            Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos