Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win98 installation  (Read 5170 times)

BEM

Win98 installation
« on: March 30, 2006, 03:18:04 AM »
I recently installed Windows 98 SE on a 350MHz Pentium II with 256MB RAM. Everything went OK, but some time later I had a problem with a device driver and decided to format the HDD and reinstall the OS. I selected 'Start computer with CD-ROM support' but after running ScanDisk it gets to the following screen and stops:

'Please wait while Setup initializes.
Scanning system registry...
Copying files needed for Windows Setup...
D:\WIN98>_"

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Win98 installation
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 03:56:30 AM »
Don't choose the "start computer with CDROM" option - choose the "install Windows 98" option instead.

Or better yet, if your hardware is up to it, install XP instead, or have a play with a Linux installation.  :)
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

BEM

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 04:52:59 AM »
Thanks, but there isn't an 'install Windows 98' option. The three options are:
1. Start Windows with CD-ROM support
2. Start Windows without CD-ROM support
3. View the Help file.

One thing I should correct: when I wrote my post I had it booting from the CD-ROM. Now that I have changed the boot order to boot from A: it does the same thing, but ends on 'E:\>_' since D: is now a virtual drive.

BEM

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 05:04:27 AM »
One other thing, Rob. I have XP Professional installed on the computer I'm using now, but the one I'm trying to set up is only for a backup machine and it doesn't justify buying another copy of XP. I just happen to have a Win98 disc, so that's why I'm installing it. Linux, on the other hand, is worth looking into, but I'll have to leave that till later when I have some time.

Backdated

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 05:52:42 AM »
You'll find a suitable bootdisk [highlight]here[/highlight] that loads real mode mouse and CD drivers but no virtual drive. It also contains Delpart which is a tool to delete partitions. If you want to use this, post back before doing so.

For now, we'll assume the Win98 bootdisk is in use and the machine has a single hard drive and a single CD unit. Boot from the disk and use the following commands in order:

format c: /q /u <Enter>
e: <Enter>
setup /ie /im /is /nr <Enter>

Setup will now run and the boot diskette should be removed from the drive. Choose custom options and only install what you want installed, paying particular attention to language used etc.
You will of course need the relevant device drivers as Win98 has understandably limited native support for newer devices.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 06:14:29 AM by Backdated »

BEM

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 08:47:29 AM »
Thanks for the bootdisc link. I did the format command, which did a quick format, but the next command wouldn't work - e: [enter] resulted in 'Invalid drive specification'. I tried d: with the same result.
You are right to assume it is a single HDD (1 partition) and CD-ROM. It is an old PC as are all of the devices.

Backdated

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 09:03:53 AM »
If you are using the bootdisk that I linked to earlier, your first CD unit is loaded at V:
Therefore, the sequence is as follows:

format c: /q /u <Enter>
v: <Enter>
setup /ie /im /is /nr <Enter>

If it doesn't work now, you have a faulty/dirty CD unit/disk.

BEM

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 10:12:52 AM »
Setup is underway, thanks a lot! When I was looking for my CD-ROM drive before I checked drive letters up to g: but I never thought it would be v:!

Backdated

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 11:34:16 AM »
This why I said to post back before using this bootdisk.
I set the drive letter as high up the chain as possible to avoid any possible conflicts. Setting it at V: gives room for four CD units.

The CD unit start allocation letter can be changed by editing the following line in autoexec.bat:

LH MSCDEX /D:IDECD_00 /L:V /M:20
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 11:35:18 AM by Backdated »

BEM

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 12:03:01 AM »
"It also contains Delpart which is a tool to delete partitions. If you want to use this, post back before doing so."

I'm sorry, but by "this" I thought you were referring to Delpart.

Backdated

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 04:27:13 AM »
lol.... Reading back I can see that now. Sorry about that. However, all's well that ends well.

If you have difficulty in identifying your hardware, download and run [highlight]Aida32[/highlight].
Once your hardware is set up and before any Microsoft updates are installed, you may wish to try the [highlight]Win98 Unofficial Service Pack[/highlight].

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 06:52:29 AM »
Don't mean to second-guess you, Backdated, but the last PC I installed the USP on quickly went insane.  ::)
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

Backdated

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 07:18:30 AM »
NP Rob.
I have to say that I've never had a problem with it yet except a couple of instances of a shutdown error. I've installed it on probably a few dozen machines.
The shutdown error in all cases would have been induced by the official M$ updates anyway.